Student Library Assistant
Academic Training Department
Reporting to the Medical Librarian, the Student Library Assistant supports routine library operations for improving effective access to information resources which encourages excellence in patient care, teaching, learning and research conducted by the Hospital for Special Surgery and its affiliations. The Student Library Assistant primarily supports Document Delivery Services (DDS), performing a variety of tasks depending on client request volume and priorities. Tasks may include electronic request processing, scanning documents, and re-shelving materials.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide the highest level of customer service to all members of the HSS staff, residents, fellows, medical students, and visitors
- Acts as a User Services team member, providing consultation services at the library desk answering in-person directional questions, as well as queries received by email or phone.
- Escalates research questions and in-depth searches to the Medical Librarian and records client interactions.
- Shares desk shift coverage responsibilities with other staff.
- May sometimes be asked to cover the front desk independently.
- Other duties as assigned in support of the library’s function.
Required and Preferred Qualifications:
- Must be currently enrolled in an MLIS program from an ALA-accredited institution,
- Completion of coursework in Health Sciences Resources.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, outgoing personality with a desire to provide excellent customer service, adaptable to a changing work environment and departmental priorities, and familiar with online searching.
- Must be comfortable providing customer service both in person and on the phone.
Hours: Monday -Friday. To be determined based on staffing needs.