Click column header to sort
Senior Director, Business Development
HSS, the world leader in musculoskeletal health, is changing the way we reach and care for the musculoskeletal needs of consumers across the care continuum. We are seeking a Senior Director for an exciting opportunity to grow our strategic partnerships portfolio as the lead new business development team member of the Partnerships and Business Development team. In addition to partnerships that enable us to build new offerings and capabilities, we also work directly with corporate partners through our EmployerConnect program to demonstrate differentiated value, develop relationships and move partnerships through the pipeline. The position will be responsible for building a pipeline and closing new strategic partnerships as well as working with the VP of Strategic Partnerships & Strategy to further build out HSS’s offering portfolio to large employers and target partners.
New Business Development:
- Identify, develop and close new external partnerships with employers, payers, provider groups, and other large organizations strategic to HSS Vision and Roadmap
- Lead new business development relationships for EmployerConnect, with the objective of building formal relationships with aligned large employers every year
- Cultivate relationships with key decisionmakers and influencers from executive to operational levels and collaborate proactively to drive awareness and engagement of HSS programs
- Gather insights and quickly understand unmet need(s) of target partners
- Provide voice of the customer working as part of cross-functional team design and operationalize strategic partnerships
- Define, track and report out on metrics (e.g., pipeline/conversions)
Strategy Development & Execution:
- Work with leadership and BD team to develop, build and roll out the next generation of employer offerings
- Monitor industry trends, conduct competitive intelligence, and evaluate HSS’s market position relative to competing/adjacent services offered to employers and partners
- Incorporate partner feedback into offerings in iterative build-measure-learn approach
- Oversee development of internal/external materials around new partnerships and partner strategy including communications to board members, medical staff, and external audiences, working closely with the CEO, SVP and VP of Business Development and Strategy
Desired Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in management or health care
- 7+ years of experience in enterprise business development, and client relations, preferably in a healthcare environment partnering with and/or selling to self-insured employers, health plans and/or health systems
- 5+ years of management experience, developing / mentoring staff
- Experience and comfort level collaborating and working closely with senior-level executives and high-profile individuals
- Demonstrated track record of success with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Tenacity and relentless energy in developing solutions amidst ambiguity and complexity
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills combined with bias toward action
The HSS Business Development Director will report to the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships & Strategy, HSS leadership team and its partner organizations.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with competitive compensation, a fast-paced environment and the invaluable experience gained from a world-class medical center.
HSS is looking for a Product Manager to lead the development, launch, and future advancement of a suite of digital products for HSS Health. The HSS Health Product Manager will report to the VP of Strategic Partnerships be responsible for working with multiple technology partners, outsourced developers, and internal HSS IT stakeholders to build and integrate the technology architecture for HSS Health. This responsibility will also include defining and refining the user experience, managing the content development process, and working with the Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Value Medical Officer, VPs of IT and Analytics & Business Intelligence to deliver to the market a world-class digital health tool.
- Consumer-Centric: Experience and in-depth understand of how to build a product that is for the end-user
- Collaborative: Ready and willing to build a product from the ground up that includes leading a team of outsourced developers, external partners and internal IT personnel, while setting the tone of a new ‘startup’
- Bias Towards Action: Is able to launch a product on an aggressive timeline, iterate quickly, roll up sleeves and make key product decisions in partnership with the HSS Health General Manager
Product Strategy Development and Build
- Define and execute against product roadmap for a suite of HSS Health digital products, including a mobile app
- Execute full product cycle, from conceptualization/development to launch and ongoing delivery and iteration
- Prioritize and select the next generation set of product features by identifying unmet consumer needs, researching competitive products and solutions, and considering buy vs. build options
- Continue to iterate on the user experience for HSS Health that is consumer-centric, seamless and interactive
- Design and maintain the digital architecture and infrastructure of HSS Health
- Lead technology interoperability plan with multiple partners and vendors
- Liaise with data and analytics subject matter experts at HSS
- Write user stories and strategy for developers to implement new features
Content Management & Integration
- Work with clinical leads to develop content and programming for product
- Define roadmap for future content and ongoing content management
- Manage vendors and partners responsible for integrating content into technology platform
Education, Required Skills, & Experience
- Bachelors degree required:
- 5+ years of experience, including launch of a product and at least 3-4 cycles of new versions
- Healthcare experience preferred but not required
- Digital product management
- Mobile content and services
- Tech architecture and operations
- Vendor and partner management
- User experience design
- Experience with the following preferred:
- Cloud Application Development and Cloud Computing (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- API Management (REST, SOAP)
- Mobile Application Development
- Content Management Systems
- Customer Identity and Access Management
- Agile methodology
Manager, Innovation Licensing and Business Development
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Work with Team to develop and manage the strategic operations of the Innovation Institute and to enhance the reputation of Hospital for Special Surgery.
- Plan, direct, implement and improve services including technical and administrative operations of the Innovation Institute.
- Make discoveries of HSS and its investigators accessible to the global public through industry based research agreements, licensing and start-up of new companies while balancing the need for academic productivity and traditional extramural funding for research by HSS investigators.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Team to provide the operational guidance and leadership to HSS in evolving a technology transfer and development strategy that will bring the office to the forefront of academic technology transfer.
- Work with all employees, but especially faculty and investigators, to identify innovations, commercial opportunities, commercial funding possibilities, and establish formal working relationships with industry and other partners.
- Identify, solicit, and evaluate invention disclosures for patent and market potential. Market technologies to commercial partners and track and develop a portfolio of associated intellectual property.
- Coordinate all activity relating to technology transfer including: Invention Disclosures, Patents, Option and License Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Research Collaboration Agreements and Commercial Non-Clinical Research Agreements. This process will include the institutional review of legal and business issues of proposed transactions. Further, work with Team to ensure all assigned new invention disclosures are properly evaluated for ownership, patentability, and commercial viability; reasonably exercising professional, independent judgment in the selection and use of techniques, methods, and timing of decisions to complete all assigned responsibilities
- Work closely with the Legal Department on all legal matters related to technology transfer, including the review of contracts and agreements. Work closely with Team on the business terms of licensing agreements and start-up companies.
- Develop the necessary relationships with corporations, venture capital firms and individuals, technology assistance organizations, and other external persons to enhance technology transfer of HSS discoveries and the potential start-up of new companies. Build strategies for the creation of private start-up companies based on HSS’s technologies; assessing new opportunities, presenting initial and follow-on investments to senior management; completing due diligence and analysis on healthcare technologies, competition, industry; making management company site visits; and creating detailed business plans and ROI analysis.
- Work with Team to continually evaluate the technology portfolio and provide recommendations to improve the portfolio for greatest commercial return.
- Advanced knowledge and management of technology transfer.
- Demonstrated strategic skills formulating effective strategies consistent with the business and competitive strategy of the organization.
- Demonstrated skills in building positive relationships with senior leaders, managers and employees, and other external persons.
- Demonstrate attention to detail with strong strategic, organizational, project and personnel management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of related regulating agencies, roles and responsibilities, governmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to organize complicated schedules to meet or improve upon deadlines
- Ability to interpret, implement and develop HSS policies and procedures
- Develop and implement marketing strategies.
- Conduct early-stage technology assessments (patentability, financial and commercial viability)
- Conduct research on market sectors and competing technologies with the goal of establishing proper valuation and price for licensing technologies.
- Demonstrated competence in drafting of contracts, material transfer agreements, and collaborative research agreements
- Strong interpersonal talents, networking skills and demonstrated ability to develop productive relationships with academic scientists and research/business executives in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries
- Entrepreneurial spirit / self-starter
- Possess business development/marketing experience
- Motivated and mature
- Experience in IP and contracts management with additional qualification in IP management would be an added advantage
- Experience with orthopedic medical devices would be beneficial. Experience with rheumatology, immunology or related biotechnology fields would be beneficial.
- Advanced degree (PhD, MBA, JD) or equivalent advanced training.
- Minimum 5-10 years experience with Research in industry and/or academia with progressive experience in leadership positions.
- Experience in academic technology transfer
- Technology transfer and/or related business experience that include creation of deal structures, negotiation of complex contracts, development of new start-up companies, and making successful recommendations for resource allocations