Click column header to sort
Charla de Lupus (Lupus Chat)®
Social Work Program Coordinator Role
The Social Work Program Coordinator coordinates all functions related to the planning and implementation of the Charla de Lupus (Lupus Chat)®Program (Charla). This national program, ongoing since 1994, serves teens and adults with lupus, a complex auto-immune illness affecting primarily women of color. In addition to the specific duties listed below, participation in learning opportunities within the Department of Social Work Programs is ongoing. Close collaboration with the health team in multiple hospital sites is an integral part of the position. The coordinator will also have responsibility for program planning and administrative activities to further program goals.
- Conducts psychosocial assessments and intervention for selected clients at designatedhospitals/health care sites, including assessment of high risk situations.
- Provides educational interventions, advocacy and referral to resources to help clients and their families understand and cope with the impacts of lupus. Provides follow-up to determine outcome.
- Coordinates all functions related to implementing the Charla Teen, Young Adults and Parent group, including arranging for monthly speakers and activities, creating flyers and coordinating mailings, reaching out to group members, developing program schedules and curriculum, conducting assessments of clients for appropriateness for group and data base management.
- Demonstrates effective group facilitation skills as leader/co-leader of Teen, Young Adult &Parent Chat Group, facilitating group to enhance coping, understanding and sharing of lupus-related concerns.
- Initiates, maintains and strengthens opportunities to collaborate with health professionals from relevant organizations to assess, organize, and participate in collaborative opportunities.
- Develops and conducts program evaluation activities to assess client and volunteer satisfaction with the program, and target areas for improvement.
- Participates in program-related research initiatives, preparation, and presentation of data for national conferences.
- Provides assistance with recruitment, mentoring and supervision to program volunteers in peer counseling and peer health education, as well as other relevant skills, for on-site and telephone-based volunteers.
An integral member of the research team in compliance with all regulatory, institutional, and departmental requirements. Participates in all aspects of research management and quality assurance of data for a specific project(s) as assigned.
Supervises the day-to-day activities of the Research Assistant (RA) at a service/department level ensuring efficient operations. Responsible for data management activities associated with clinical research at a service specific level. Performs data collection, data entry and analysis for studies as appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Clinical and Regulatory responsibilities:
- Oversees and conducts the informed consent process on studies as appropriate (requires appropriate training and certification of human research subjects training).
- Manages data collection specific to research studies including but not limited to the performance of measurements for applicable studies, collection of clinical data from patients directly, and manage the performance of all other duties as put forth in the protocol. This includes the supervision of multidisciplinary teams involved in the successful conduct of the study as well as research assistants I and II assigned to independent research studies.
- Spearheads efforts to meet patient enrollment targets related to independent research studies. To that end, develops and implements various recruitment strategies.
- Ensures accuracy of personnel transcribing data from a paper case report form (CRF) into an electronic format.
- Manages and executes IRB submissions for initial approvals, re-approvals, amendments, etc… Ensures timeliness and accuracy of submissions and no lapses in approvals for the study. Directs research assistants in this effort as well.
- Compiles and assists in analyzing data in preparation for a presentation, sponsor/regulatory agency, publication, etc… with the assistance of project investigator
- Performs advanced data queries when needed. Provides timely reports to Institutional Review Board, Principal Investigator, National Institutes of Health and/or sponsor for each research project.
- Participates in the development of new protocols, prospective databases and new initiatives taken on by the department. This may include independent design of databases and tools to facilitate data collection as required for specific projects (calendars, schedules, tracking logs)
- Represents the Principal Investigator in departmental audits as well as external audits performed by representatives of the sponsor for each clinical research project. Works closely with HSS internal monitor for guidance on these activities.
- Collaborates with the research team and research administration, as needed, to ensure that research subjects are treated in accordance with all mandated requirements. Ensures that standards regarding subject registration, protocol specific tests, and required documentation are adhered to. Reports deviations as appropriate and resolves issues when possible. Escalates issues to supervisor as needed.
- In collaboration with Clinical Research Administration (CRA), develops a training plan for newly hired Research Assistants (RA) in the department/service. Monitors the training progress of new hires and supervises the RA in the mentoring process. Responsible for the continued mentoring and education of assigned Research Assistants.
- Prioritizes and schedules work activities to ensure that workflow is controlled and meets the need of the department. Communicates and maintains institutional/departmental policies, standard operating procedures, quality standards, improvement initiatives and external legal regulations/regulatory requirements.
- Prepares all required internal reports on activity, on volume, and census reports as needed.
- Responsible for the handling, packaging, and shipping of dangerous goods under supervision and in compliance with State and Federal regulations. These specimens may include tissue, blood, dry ice, and chemicals. Certification in these procedures is required in accordance with the Federal Regulations. Knowledge of good clinical practice for the handling of specimens and blood may be required.
- Maintains and enhances professional growth through participation in seminars, professional affiliations, and internal training sessions to keep abreast of trends in the field of research data management.
A qualified candidate has the ability to communicate in an effective manner with management, clinical staff, external sponsors and patients at HSS. They may be asked to conduct procedures in the operating room including but not limited to blood processing, video, nerve conduction testing, photographs, applying devices and sensory testing.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certification preferred
- 3-5 years experience in clinical research
- Proficient use of computers and software
- Knowledge of Orthopaedic and/or Rheumatologic terminology is preferred but not required.
SOCIAL WORK FLOATER,
AMBULATORY CARE CENTER (ACC) and PEDIATRIC CLINICS
Department of Social Work Programs
The role of this part time, benefit eligible, social worker is to provide comprehensive psychosocial assessment and intervention for patients and families coping with needs related to the impact and understanding of conditions/illnesses and treatment options, including surgery, in support of optimal health outcomes. This will include coverage for ambulatory clinics, with assignment varying in response to need, prioritizing patients who are high risk due to psychosocial issues and those who are preoperative, where there may be barriers affecting their ability to access needed care, including insurance. The position reports to the Social Work Manager, Adult Orthopedic Ambulatory Care Center, Department of Social Work Programs.
- Assess and intervene with patients in outpatient clinics, with a targeted focus on identifying those at high risk due to psychosocial issues and preoperative status, including medical adherence.
- Assess and intervene with patients experiencing acute behavioral, family, and environmental factors.
- Collaborate closely with the health care team to provide relevant psychosocial information to assist in treatment planning and enhance patient participation in their care, to optimize health care outcomes.
- Facilitate referrals for mental health, substance abuse services community resources to meet housing, employment, financial assistance, health insurance and other needs.
- Assess, address, and advocate as appropriate both population-based, as well as systems-based concerns and processes to most effectively address patient needs and medical outcomes.
- Maintain complete, timely and accurate documentation of patient assessments and interventions in medical chart, and generate appropriate related reports.
- Provide supportive counseling and psycho-educational interventions in collaboration with health team with patients and family members to help ensure an understanding of patient’s overall medical situation and treatment plan; identify obstacles to adherence and help to address these as appropriate.
- Participate in departmental and interdepartmental initiatives and projects, e.g. those involving staff development and improvement of systems affecting patient care.
- Participate in additional duties as needed.
- Master’s degree in Social Work with LMSW or LCSW licensure
- Minimum of 5-7 years of post-Masters experience in hospital setting, preferably outpatient, with a range of patient ages
- Passion for providing outstanding patient care
- Ability to be self-directed and organized in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and team building, systems orientation
- Aspires to contribute to self, colleague and organizational learning
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office software
- Experience/interest in research desirable
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Partnerships & Strategy Manager
HSS, the world leader in musculoskeletal health, is changing the way we reach and care for the musculoskeletal needs of consumers across the care continuum. We are seeking a manager for an exciting opportunity to grow and deepen our strategic partnerships portfolio as part of the Partnerships and Business development team. In addition to partnerships that enable us to build new offerings and capabilities, we also work directly with corporate partners through our EmployerConnect program to demonstrate differentiated value. The position will be responsible for managing a portion of existing and new strategic partnerships as well as working with the VP of Strategic Partnerships & Strategy to further build out HSS's offering portfolio to large employers and target partners.
Strategic Partnership Management:
- Gather insights and quickly understand unmet need(s) of target partners
- Develop and manage external partnerships with employers, provider groups, and other large organizations
- Cultivate relationships with key decision makers and influencers from executive to operational levels
- Work as part of cross-functional team to develop and operationalize strategic partnerships
- Collaborate with partners to proactively drive awareness and engagement of HSS programs
- Define, track and report out on metrics at least quarterly to internal and external stakeholders
Strategy Development & Execution:
- Support development, build and roll out of the next generation of partner offerings
- Monitor industry trends, conduct competitive intelligence, and evaluate HSS's market position on an ongoing basis
- Incorporate partner feedback into offerings in iterative build-measure-learn approach
- Oversee development of internal/external materials around partner strategy including communications to board members, medical staff, and external audiences, working closely with the CEO, SVP and VP of Business Development and Strategy
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, preferably in management or health care
- 5+ years of experience in enterprise business development, and client relations in a health care environment
- Tenacity and relentless energy in developing solutions amidst ambiguity and complexity
- Experience and comfort level collaborating and working closely with executives, senior managers, and high-profile individuals
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills combined with bias toward action
- Demonstrated track record of success with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
The HSS Partnerships & Strategy Manager will report to the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships & Strategy, HSS leadership team and its partner organizations.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with competitive compensation, a fast-paced environment and the invaluable experience gained from a world-class medical center.
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities.
HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.
Purpose: To help people get back to what they need and love to do better than any other place in the world.
Values: excellence, passion, integrity, creativity, teamwork
Vision: lead the world as the most innovative source of medical care, the premier research institution, and the most trusted educator in the fields of orthopedics, rheumatology and their related disciplines
Mission: provide the highest quality patient care, improve mobility, and enhance the quality of life for all, and to advance the science of orthopedic surgery, rheumatology, and their related disciplines through research and education. We do this regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, or ethnic origin.
About HSS: HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 for orthopedics, and No. 3 for rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report (2017-18). HSS has been among the top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology for 26 consecutive years. The hospital's research division is internationally recognized as a leader in the investigation of musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases. Our main campus is located in New York City, and additional information can be found online at www.hss.edu.
Per Diem LPN
Long Island Outpatient Center - Uniondale, LI
Hours will vary. Must be Flexible!
Contribute to the mission of improving mobility and enhancing the quality of life for all for the # 1 Orthopedic Hospital in the United States for the 8th year in a row!
The Hospital for Special Surgery has an excellent opportunity for an experienced LPN to join our Long Island Outpatient Center located in Uniondale, LI as a Per diem LPN! This position may also provide coverage for our Fresh Meadows location as well.
Working under the supervision of one of our 21 prominent MD’s,you will provide the utmost deliverance of patient care in the physician’s office setting.
Scope of duties will include:
- Assisting the physician in treatments and procedures
- Rooming patients
- Fostering effective patient throughout
- Stocking exam rooms.
- Graduate of an accredited school of practical nursing
- Current NYS State LPN license and Registration
- BLS certification
- Demonstrate proficiency in obtaining vital signs, height and weight, cast removal and application of off-the shelf braces, suture and staple removal
Per Diem LPN
Working under the supervision of a MD or Registered Nurse, you will provide care to patients in the physician office setting. Your scope of duties will include assisting the physician in treatments and procedures, fostering effective and patient throughput, delivering excellent customer service, establishing and maintaining an organized professional environment. Your ability to promote the highest standards of patient safety and respond to patients and families with consideration and compassion is critical to the mission of HSS.
Patient Care Assistant
Full Time and Per Diem Opportunities Available
8 Hour Shifts – All Shifts (Days/Evenings/Overnights) Available
Ensuring the delivery of the highest quality of patient care, you will assist staff nurses in providing comprehensive attention to patients and families, while working in an environment that commands clinical excellence every day. Your duties will include providing input for patient care plans, reviewing patient status, and assisting in obtaining patient data. Other responsibilities will entail monitoring changes in patient conditions, supporting admission and discharge processes, and making patients and families feel at home. These activities may include but is not limited to:
- Assisting patients with daily personal hygiene, including bathing, skin care, and toileting.
- Collecting objective data including vital signs, pulse oximeter readings, I’s and O’s, height/weight.
- Follow policy and procedure to ensure patient safety by demonstrating appropriate use of wheelchairs, beds, stretchers, and safe patient handling equipment.
- Give and receive handoff to the RN and other colleagues.
- Document in EMR system (EPIC).
The qualified candidate will have a High School diploma or equivalent and at least one year of experience as a nursing attendant, PCA/PCT/CNA certification, EMT, or previous member of armed medical corps. Superior communication and customer service skills required as well as proficiency in data management as it relates to entering and retrieving patient information within the Epic application software. BLS through AHA required.
Ensuring the delivery of our world-renowned patient care, you will provide sterile supplies, instruments and equipment required for patients undergoing orthopedic surgical interventions. We'll rely on you to support all patient care areas by properly processing surgical equipment using washers, sterilizers, dryers, and heat sealers. The processing and logging of implants and loaner sets of instruments is also vital to your contribution.
Contribute to our mission of improving mobility and enhancing the quality of life for all. As an essential member of our interdisciplinary team you will assist in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of patients with pulmonary disorders. Duties will include Collecting and Analyzing sputum, blood, and breath specimens to determine levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other gases. As well as measuring the lung capacities to determine impaired pulmonary function.
Working under the supervision of a MD, you will provide care to patients in the physician office setting. Your scope of duties will include assisting the physician in treatments and procedures, rooming patients, overseeing patient flow, ordering all nursing supplies and stocking exam rooms. You will create and maintain medical protocols set in the office. Proficiency in patient vitals, BP, temperature venipuncture, proper cast removal, suture and staple removal a must. Strong knowledge of orthopedic practice procedures such as diagnosis, cpt codes, crutches, canes, cam walkers are essential. You will be responsible for delivering excellent customer service, establishing and maintaining and organized professional environment. Your hours will vary. You must be extremely flexible.Your ability to promote the highest standards of patient safety and respond to patients and families with consideration and compassion is critical to the mission of HSS.