Click column header to sort
Supporting the delivery of the highest quality of patient care, you will perform clinical and unit support duties for the Inpatient Units. You will be responsible for the general safety and support of patients, including transportation of patients, equipment and related items.
The Hospital for Special Surgery Department of Information Technology is seeking a Director, IT Client Services to lead the Project Management Office and Financial Management and conduct Strategy and Planning activities. The Director will be responsible for overseeing project management, budgeting and financial management and a portfolio of strategic growth and expansion technology projects. The role requires a strong ability to manage integrated teams and a strong understanding of “the business of the IT” department. The Director will lead complex and transformation programs to best leverage available project management resources and financial management deliverables.
Hospital for Special Surgery Department of Information Technology is a fast-paced, results driven environment with the focus on providing exceptional customer service. The role requires a highly effective communicator who is comfortable collaborating with Financial and IT leadership, and operational sponsors across the organization.
- Lead the Project Management Office, Project Management Core Team, and Growth and Expansion Portfolio Teams
- Define and develop the strategic role of the PMO, maintain a consistent definition in identification of projects and execution of IT projects
- Develop and define the project management process, standards and deliverables and operational cadence necessary to ensure consistent project execution
- Facilitate the prioritization and planning process across IT portfolios to ensure clear, well-defined communication plans, work plans and project statuses
- Establish a sustainable process for resource management across portfolios
- Establish/Maintain processes and tools for the regular tracking, reporting of progress and performance metrics on all projects
- Support portfolio owners by ensuring proper financial management of their portfolio, providing financial transparency to project sponsors, steering committees and operational partners
- Facilitate waterfall and agile project management methodologies as indicated
- Oversee project management software program
- Initiate process improvement efforts and transform processes as indicated
IT Financial Management
- Lead assembly and administration of the IT capital and operating budgets
- Monitor and analyze the costs, value and risks of IT to advise leadership and suggest action steps to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Collaborate with Finance team to perform monthly financial variance analysis
- Ensure IT financials are transparent and clearly support the organizational strategic and operational needs
- Work with IT leadership/portfolio owners to establish budget allocation targets and monthly variance analysis
- Provide strong knowledge of accounting and finance concepts, as well as forecasting and modeling
- Initiate process improvement effort to maximize efficiency of IT financial management
- Collaborate with portfolio owners to forecast future projects, model new initiatives and demonstrate value for IT services, e.g., Benefits Realization/ROI
- Collaborate with portfolio and IT leaders to build a service catalog to establish and share the costs of providing IT services
- Participate with the annual IT strategic and operational planning process
- Ensure the IT strategic plan is aligned to the goals and objectives of the organization, in collaboration with IT leaders
- Conduct annual IT strategic plan update and provide new plan every 3-5 years
- Partner with IT leadership and organizational sponsors to design IT strategic roadmap and monitor progress against IT and organizational strategic objectives
- Complete other duties as assigned
Full Time Care Coordinator
Musculoskeletal Access Center
The Care Coordinator for the Musculoskeletal Access Center will coordinate, monitor, and evaluate patients’ needs as they receive treatment for acute or chronic back pain. This individual will need to apply clinical expertise and knowledge of case management to ensure that patients are adhering to their care plans and by providing appropriate referrals as needed. Collaboration will be required with interdisciplinary care teams, including but not limited to triage nurse practitioners, physical therapists, various physicians, chiropractors, employer programs and health benefits companies, to facilitate and coordinate patient-specific, evidence-based care. Over time, the Care Coordinator may follow patients seen for other conditions in the Musculoskeletal Access Center (e.g., knee, hip).
- Serve as a resource for patients as they receive treatment during their care episode
- Place patient calls to assess progress and identify modifications to care plans
- Educate patients and encourage adherence to their plans of care
- Collaborate to develop care plans with triage NP and physical therapists to ensure patients are referred to the right provider and that high-risk patients are identified and appropriately managed
Clinical Team Coordination
- Develop relationships with various HSS clinical teams – This includes physical therapy, HSS Network physical therapy sites, Physiatry, Spine, Pain Management, and Neurology departments
- Gather and evaluate information from a variety of clinical teams to determine patient progress and next steps
- Coordinate interdisciplinary teams to ensure patients get the best care
- Manage clinical information for each patient to ensure their care is appropriate coordinated and documented for reporting
- Collaborate with the Ambassador Services team to ensure the timely scheduling of physical therapy and physician appointments for patients who need follow-up care
- Provide insight into the care management process and work with administration to ensure patients can receive the care they need in a timely manner
Metrics and Reporting of KPI’s
- Oversight of data tracking in order to report on key productivity indicators.
- Knowledge and ability to aggregate key metrics in building upon our value proposition.
- Analysis of data in order to continue to grow the business model in a scalable manner.
- Current NY State professional physical therapy or RN license and/or registration
- 2+ years of experience in managing patients with low back pain.
- Ability to prioritize issues, resolve conflicts and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Experience working with and motivating patients to achieve personal care goals
- Team oriented and energized by serving as a major contributor to scaling care management offerings for ambulatory patients at HSS
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Word.
- Must possess ability to learn new software tools & systems as required on the job
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and pragmatic; Energized by working in a fast-paced, evolving environment
We are seeking a Senior Accountant reporting to Director of Financial Accounting and the Assistant Director of tax to provide our world-renowned healthcare team with comprehensive financial support.
In this role your scope of responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Preparation of month end financial schedules and reconciliations
- Various account analyses associated with month-end financial statement close and year-end audit
- Assistance with preparation of the Hospital and its affiliated entities annual tax returns and associated tax filings
- Act as liaison and facilitate communication and information gathering with other Hospital departments
- Perform special projects as needed
Required Skills, Competencies, Education or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting.
- 3-5 years of relevant accounting or tax experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), written and verbal communication skills and analytical abilities. Advanced Excel skills utilizing V-lookup and pivot tables a plus.
- Must be able to interact with other departments and associates and work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
Desired Skills, Competencies, Education or Experience:
- Experience with automated General Ledger systems. Lawson experience a plus.
- Experience with tax software a plus.
The Assistant Vice President, Accounting for Commercial Initiatives reports to the Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer but will work closely with the CFO and other members of the HSS Senior Leadership team. The position plays a key role in the financial well-being of the institution by ensuring the accuracy of the books and records of the Hospital’s joint ventures and other new initiatives.
- Work with various HSS departments and external consultants and attorneys to evaluate potential initiatives, joint ventures, etc.
- Analyze tax implications to HSS and investors when evaluating potential new opportunities or companies
- Create accounting structure for new entities as well as oversee cost allocation analyses
- Maintain a ‘business leader’ approach, with a continual awareness of external/environmental issues, along with an active understanding of organizational needs and priorities
- Demonstrate the ability to navigate within a complex environment in whichcompeting projects and priorities must be rationalized
- Analyze data and interpret trends for the use of operations executives and ensure that management discussion and assessment reports are relevant, timely and used for improving effectiveness
- Take a lead role with outside valuation companies in determining FMV where applicable
- Oversee the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements forapplicable companies or divisions
- Prepare cash flow analyses as it relates to applicable companies
- Oversee tax reporting and strategy for the applicable companies
- Oversee treasury activities as it relates to applicable companies
- Meet with Senior Management and Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) physician investors to discuss financial matters related to these companies/initiatives
- Oversee allocations and billing of management and other costs to various companies
Understanding the Business
Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
Making Complex Decisions
Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
Is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Being Organizationally Savvy
Maneuvers well to get things done; knows where to go to get what he/she needs; politically aware and agile; knows what the right thing to do is; presents views and arguments well.
Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; understands what motivates different people.
Acting with Honor and Character
Is a person of high character; is consistent and acts in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs; deals and talks straight; walks his/her talk; is direct and truthful but at the same time can keep confidences.
Demonstrating Personal Flexibility
Open to lifelong, continuous personal improvement; aware of self and impact on others; responsive to feedback; is very flexible; can act in ways that seem contradictory and is adaptable to demand characteristics of different situations.
PostDoctoral Fellow Job Description:
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and execute experimental procedures/protocols in research involving cell and molecular biology techniques, tissue culture, histology and immunological assay, polarizing and fluorescence microscopy, and animal model system.
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting on experimental data to the Principal Investigator on a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of all laboratory work and experiments.
- Apply standard scientific protocols to experiments, research and improve current methods, and develop, set-up, and verify new procedures in the laboratory.
- Independently reproduce, evaluate, and improve techniques currently used. Adapt new methods to existing procedures and modify current experiments through scientific knowledge and intuition.
- Standardize and establish new published procedures; evaluate innovative techniques. Develop new assays and new protocols for research.
- Troubleshoot and correct erroneous results or problems with laboratory equipment. Maintain and repair equipment; monitor proper use by personnel.
- Maintain optimal protocol and assay accuracy by conducting regular quality and reproducibility checks.
- Discuss relevant insights about experimental results with Principal Investigator, and provide useful recommendations for improvement and analysis.
- Draft, write, and edit scientific papers, journal articles, abstracts and progress reports.
- Assist with preparation of manuscripts, presentations, grant proposals and other written documents
- Maintain an integral role in the laboratory's meetings, departmental seminars, presentations, and publications.
- Organization, and recording of research material inventory, and placing order for research reagent in a timely manner
- Maintenance of research model system and reagents.
- Ensure that work areas are organized and present a safe, accessible, effective and efficient environment.
- Completion of all trainings related to work in a timely manner, including C14, animal usage, handling hazardous material, laboratory safety.
- Participate in establishing job requirements and goals; perform duties at the desired level of competency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE: Ph.D. in Developmental Biology, Genetics, Cell or Molecular Biology or related filed in biological sciences is required.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, strong organizational skills, supervisory ability, and an innovative approach to experimental design.
- Technical proficiency and ability to work independently.
- Proficient use of computers and software.
- Strong communication and analytical skills.
- Mathematical ability to perform algebraic calculations and statistical analysis.
- Express willingness to teach others and share results.
- Capable of meeting time demands necessary to execute experiments
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is the world’s leading academic medical center focused on musculoskeletal health. HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 in orthopedics and No. 3 in rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report (2017-2018). HSS is an affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College and as such all Hospital for Special Surgery medical staff are faculty of Weill Cornell. The hospital's research division is internationally recognized as a leader in the investigation of musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases. www.hss.edu
HSS’s Center for the Advancement of Value in Musculoskeletal Care serves to infuse proven quality of care and value initiatives deeper into the organization. The center was developed two years ago and has helped the organization formulate the population management strategy and value proposition of HSS. This position will play a critical role in utilizing data analytics to improve the wellbeing of HSS patients and be on the cutting edge of the advancement of analytics in care delivery. This role will be exposed to both research and care delivery in health care. You will work alongside a group of highly motivated scientists, analysts, clinicians, and operational staff giving you a unique opportunity within an innovative hospital to understand how our research is directly applied to clinical care. This position serves a critical role in support of a key strategic priority for HSS. https://www.hss.edu/value-in-musculoskeletal-care-center.asp
- Act as a leader for data analytic development and advancement under the supervision of the Senior Director of Data Science, while working closely with Value Center leadership, including HSS’s Chief Medical Value Officer
- Develop new value performance metrics and develop dashboards to trend progress.
- Be a subject matter expert and perform analyses on large administrative databases including those of SPARCS, Medicare, and commercial payers to evaluate patterns of quality, utilization, and value that will inform the HSS approach to value management.
- Define value improvement strategies and methods to evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies; perform analyses to assess effectiveness.
- Develop visualization of key performance metrics and make recommendations to Value Center leadership for software or workflow changes, purchases to enhance quality of data reported out of the Value Center and streamline workflows.
- Act as mentor to other analysts staff from other HSS departments such as Quality, Finance and Operations.
- Bachelor's degree required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Minimum 2 years working in an analytical role (e.g. consulting, research, marketing, data science).
- Strong proficiency in statistical software and programming (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Stata).
- Prior experience translating data for lay audiences, including the production of presentations for senior-level audiences; demonstrated ability to think strategically about data end-use.
- Excellent organization skills (ability to manage several concurrent tasks).
- At least 2 years work experience in a clinical setting.
- Expertise working with large administrative datasets (e.g., SPARCS, HCUP, Medicare’s Standard Analytic File, commercial administrative datasets).
- Knowledge and experience in quality measures and measurement.
- Experience in hospital value evaluation or interpreting technical medical data is ideal, particularly past experience qualifying value in orthopedics.
- Understanding of extract transform and loading (ETL) data cleaning, data normalization, mapping, and validation.
Software Deployment Engineer
HSS is seeking a talented Software Deployment Engineer to join its Information Technology Department.
The successful candidate will be responsible for deploying endpoint and server software to multiple environments using deployment automation and orchestration tools. Candidate will be working with various application support teams, as well as desktop and infrastructure and operations engineers and administrators to implement and maintain operating system software as well as 3rd party tools and applications on managed devices. Candidate will also implement and maintain an asset management system for managing all enterprise devices (endpoints, servers and network devices).
To qualify for this job, candidate must have a firm grasp of Microsoft Windows desktop and server operating systems, automation, patching and deployment tools, such as Ivanti Landesk, Quest Kace, Microsoft SCCM, and similar software stack. Also, candidate must have a strong understanding of Client/Server computing, Microsoft AD/LDAP, as well as be conversant with networking principles and TCP/IP. Candidate should have strong Windows Systems engineering experience and be very knowledgeable on Group Policy (GPO).
- Design, implement, and maintain an enterprise software deployment, automation and orchestration platform
- Create and maintain a patching program for managed devices
- Design and implement automation for various systems management tasks
- Perform software integration testing on endpoints
- Create and maintain standard system images
- Perform security, performance and availability assessments of endpoints
- Troubleshoot software deployment and patching issues
- Install, configure and maintain Windows desktop and server operating system software
- Install, configure and maintain 3rd party software and client/server applications
- Create and maintain documentation on device configuration, troubleshooting, design etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, computer science or a related field required
- Requires previous experience with software deployment engineering in a medium to large enterprise (5,000+ managed endpoints and servers)
Full Time Physician Assistant
Shift: Monday/Tuesday/Friday -6pm-7:30am (40 hrs/wk)
Contribute to our mission of improving mobility and enhancing the quality of life for all for the #1 Orthopedic Hospital in the United States for the 6th year in a row! Opportunity to obtain exposure to pre and post operative care of our orthopedics patients while working in a collborative environment with our day and overnight Physician Assistant team. As an essential member of our Orthopedic Physician Assistant team, you will provide comprehensive pre/postoperative care which includes:
- Comprehensive care of in-patients on the Arthroplasty Service
- Management of both medical/ surgical issues for our inpatient population
- Admission History & Physicals
- Post-operative checks with neurologic assessments.
We are looking for a Research Technician to join our group at Hospital for Special Surgery. The successful candidate will assist with bone biology research projects in our laboratory.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and operating laboratory equipment
- Maintaining inventory of lab supplies and ordering material
- Carrying out wet-lab experiments which may involve molecular biology techniques, cell culture, histology, and animal models.
- Collecting, analyzing and rigorously recording experimental data
- Participating in laboratory meetings
- Training students and other lab stuff and supervising laboratory aides
- Assisting with preparation of manuscripts, presentations and other written documents
Minimum job requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Proficient use of computers and software