Click column header to sort
Job Description - Research Associate
Reports to: Assistant Director, Research
Overview: The Research Associate is an integral member of the research team in compliance with all regulatory, institutional, and departmental requirements. He/she participates in all research study-related activities for the projects in the Anesthesiology department, contributes to research leadership initiatives, and serves as an academic collaborator and mentor within the division.
- Contributes meaningfully to the division’s meetings, seminars, publications and other initiatives.
- Maintains a divisional structure that fosters initiative, accountability, and excellence in patient care.
- Participates in research leadership initiatives and committees. Proactively suggests improvements.
- Prepares protocols, manuscripts, grant proposals and other written documents as requested by the Principal Investigator or Assistant Director, Research.
- Serves as an academic collaborator with a focus on developing protocols, writing manuscripts and publishing.
- Acts as a role model and mentor to research assistant staff.
- Develops and maintains research databases with guidance from Principal Investigator and/or statistician.
- Performs data collection and data entry for studies as requested. Schedules and conducts subject interviews, follow-up visits and phone calls to obtain data as per protocol. Ensures accuracy when transcribing data from data collection sheets, medical records, or electronic institutional databases or other source documents into databases.
- Performs or helps facilitate informed consent procedures following all regulatory guidelines.
- Participates in protocol development in collaboration with Principal Investigator and co-investigators. Conducts literature searches; actively participates in development meetings; reviews and edits protocol document; prepares study initiation documents.
- Performs IRB submissions for initial approvals, re-approvals, amendments, etc. Prepares, submits and files IRB and all regulatory documents, ie., data collection sheets, protocol amendments, protocol deviations, adverse event forms, etc.
- Ensures that all research related regulatory, institutional, and departmental compliance requirements are met as appropriate.
- Prepares information required for reports to research administration as needed.
- Conducts statistical data analysis and prepares statistical graphs and tables in preparation for research presentations, abstract and manuscript preparation or for other publications as requested by the Principal Investigator.
- Provides timely progress reports (especially regarding enrollment) for each research project at regular intervals determined by the Assistant Director, Research or Principal Investigator.
- Prepares and maintains orderly files for all research studies, including both electronic and hard copy paper files in regulatory binders. Works closely with HSS internal monitor for guidance on these activities.
- Assists Attending MDs with academic tasks, such as preparing PowerPoint slides and conducting literature searches for presentations as requested.
- Responsible for the handling, packaging, and shipping of dangerous goods under supervision and in compliance with State and Federal regulations. These specimens may include tissue, blood, dry ice, and chemicals. Certification in these procedures is required in accordance with Federal Regulations. Knowledge of good clinical practice for the handling of specimens and blood may be required.
- Maintains and enhances professional growth through participation in seminars, professional affiliations, and internal training sessions to keep abreast of trends in the field of research data management.
- Other duties and projects as designated by Assistant Director, Research
Patient Access Specialist
Patient Registration-Pre-Access Call Center
Casual Position (15 hours per week)
A highly visible customer service position that is responsible for the reception of patients, families, and health care providers. The Patient Access Specialist is an expert in areas of customer service, registration/scheduling, insurance, and HSS Standards of Care. Patient Access Specialist is expected to score in the top 5% of measureable categories within 6 months of hire.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patients, visitors, and customers
- Obtain authorizations for surgical and radiology procedures.
- Verify insurance and obtain benefits
- Communicate with physician offices regarding status of authorizations.
- Respond to patient, visitor, and customer inquiries
- Obtain patient demographics, personal information, and medical history by interviewing patients.
- Collect payments for inpatient and ambulatory procedures
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein
- Bachelors degree preferred; Diploma or equivalent with 3 years of experience
- Two years in a healthcare or related customer service field
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of healthcare and health insurance
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Displays positive attitudes towards assignments and others
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages
As an integral member of perioperative team, the successful Unit Assistant candidate provides assistance with transportation of patients, operating room turnover, delivery of equipment, and related items. Unit Assistants provide key support to the perioperative service.
- Provides support to the multidisciplinary health care team to maintain and promote the standards of care and safety.
- Provides assistance with transportation of patients, room turnover, equipment
- Has knowledge of operating room set-ups for various surgical procedures
- Maintains supplies at all times
- Recognizes when equipment needs repair and follows up with appropriate personnel or department
- Maintains a hazard-free environment by disposing of filled linen hampers and medical waste appropriately
- Maintain sensitivity and awareness of cultural and religious diversity when addressing patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers
- Promote a supportive and team-oriented environment
- Support departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range strategic plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital
Per Diem Central Sterile Technician
At the Hospital for Special Surgery, Central Service Professionals play an integral part of patient safety and contributing to our low infections rates. Our CSP department is responsible for decontaminating, inspecting, assembling, packaging, sterilizing and safely transporting reusable surgical instruments to our surgical areas. CSP also provides disposable medical supplies to the perioperative areas via surgical case carts.
The mission is to provide customers with products that are 100% clean, complete, sterile and delivered on time. The process is complex due to the vast amounts and variety of surgical instruments found in each tray and meeting the demand of our very busy operating rooms here at HSS. The CSP team prides themselves in being engaged and compliant to regulatory standards for quality and patient safety in order to deliver the best service and products for patients that come to HSS.
In the Central Sterile Technician role, we rely on you to adhere to the mission by ensuring the delivery of our world-renowned patient care, and providing sterile supplies, instruments and equipment required for patients undergoing orthopedic surgical interventions. You will support all patient care areas by properly processing surgical equipment using washers, sterilizers, dryers, and heat sealers. The processing and logging of implants and loaner sets of instruments is also vital to your contribution.
HSS is currently seeking an Administrative Assistant to support the Revenue Cycle leadership team and department. The ideal candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to successfully multi-task their day to day responsibilities. A successful Administrative Assistant should ensure the efficient and smooth day-to-day operation of our office and supported business units.
- Answer and direct phone calls
- Organize and schedule appointments
- Plan, schedule and handle all details for meetings
- Write and distribute email, correspondence memos, letters, faxes and forms
- Assist in the preparation of regularly scheduled reports
- Develop and maintain an electronic filing system
- Update and maintain office policies and procedures
- Order department supplies and place orders with CDC
- Create purchase orders, process and reconcile vendor invoices
- Maintain contact lists
- Book travel arrangements
- Submit and reconcile expense reports
- Point of contact for all visitors
- Ability to interact and collaborate with Executive Leadership and all levels of administrative support Reporting into VP, Patient Access Services w/ dotted line to Executive Secretary to the SVP of Financial Services
- Assist with day to day office maintenance and requests. Including but not limited to, unpacking / distribution of supplies, re-stocking kitchen, gathering /resolving any employee supply or maintenance concerns
- Maintain inventory of office equipment, request quotes for new equipment and submit purchase orders
- Register all guest into PassagePoint
- Maintain vendor relationships. Including but not limited to ShredIt, CDC, and Staples
High School Diploma Required
Desired Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an administrative role
- Proficient in Microsoft suite (MS Excel, MS Visio, MS PowerPoint & MS Word)
- Experience with GHX, PassagePoint and WorkSpeed or similar systems
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills are essential to succeed in this role
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work and multi-task
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Must possess “staff skills” and the ability to foster relationships and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team
At Hospital for Special Surgery our clinicians and scientists collaborate to deliver the most innovative care. Our specialized focus on orthopedics and rheumatology enables us to help patients get back to what they need and love to do reliably and efficiently. Our patients are overwhelmingly satisfied with the care they receive at our facilities. When you join us, you will become part of this legacy of commitment to the most cutting-edge research and coordinated care.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about the field of analytics and well versed in all aspects of an enterprise-wide analytics architecture. We are looking for Data Engineers who have a strong understanding of data pipelines, ready to work hard but most importantly curious. They will work collaboratively across the organization with clinical and operational leaders on a diverse range of projects to find insights that support our mission of providing world class musculoskeletal health.
As a Data Engineer You Will
- Design, implement, and automate data flows
- Assist in the implementation and administration of the analytics data lake
- Work with partners and vendors on data integration projects
- Design and create data models for new or existing data sources
- Design and implement ETLs
COMPLIANCE DATA ANALYST
Reporting to the VP of Corporate Compliance and Internal Audit, the Compliance Data Analyst supports the VP, and other Compliance and Internal Audit personnel, including the Director of Conflict of Interest Compliance, with routine, ad hoc, continuous monitoring, and investigatory reporting and data analysis to help ensure compliance with HSS policies and procedures related to COI, patient privacy, and information security.
- Distributes, collects and reviews submissions in MyDisclosures, HSS’ online conflict of interest reporting system.
- Ensures continuous on-boarding in MyDisclosures of new employees, Medical Staff, and Trustees.
- Performs MyDisclosures system maintenance and follow-up as needed.
- Reviews and reconciles HSS’ Open Payments’ data reported annually to CMS.
- Produces routine and ad hoc reports, analyzes data, and follows-up on exceptions, as appropriate, for MyDisclosures, CMS Open Payments, FairWarning, Epic, and other
- Compliance and Internal Audit data sources.
- Creates and reviews reports in FairWarning, HSS’ access monitoring system. Supports
- investigations and other FairWarning audits.
- Reviews Data Loss Prevention alerts for adherence to HSS information security policies and procedures and conducts follow-up as needed.
- Ensures that HSS departments provide required data related to sanction screening timely and/or uploads data monthly, as appropriate.
- Formats and uploads data for sanction screenings. Reviews for accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews sanction screening results for exceptions and reports results as appropriate.
- Produces ad hoc reports as requested.
- Actively seeks knowledge of new or more efficient techniques to increase effectiveness of compliance data monitoring and analysis.
- Stays current on new laws and regulations related to areas of responsibility.
- Interacts with HSS administrative and clinical management, departments, and staff in a professional, positive, and constructive manner to facilitate good working relationships.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to accept delegated tasks and responsibilities; keeps project partners/management informed at all times; confidentiality at all times; high standards of conduct and ethics, as well as appropriate judgment, independence, and discretion; and adherence to HSS’ values.
- Perform assigned special projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Auditing, Healthcare Administration, Business Analytics, Decision Science, Statistics or a related field.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in compliance, auditing, data analysis, data science, or related field.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated proficiency using advanced office software applications, including spreadsheets, databases, and data analytics software.
- Proven self-starter; ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Proven, excellent organizational skills, the ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities while focusing on details.
- Unquestionable personal and professional integrity; exudes credibility and professionalism.
- Proven, excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Team player and understands role in relationship to others.
- Programming experience with SQL, Access, and/or SAS.
- Experience with Epic, Huron ClickCOI, FairWarning, and/or Data Loss Prevention software.
HSS is looking for a Product Manager to lead the development, launch, and future advancement of a suite of digital products for HSS Health. The HSS Health Product Manager will report to the VP of Strategic Partnerships be responsible for working with multiple technology partners, outsourced developers, and internal HSS IT stakeholders to build and integrate the technology architecture for HSS Health. This responsibility will also include defining and refining the user experience, managing the content development process, and working with the Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Value Medical Officer, VPs of IT and Analytics & Business Intelligence to deliver to the market a world-class digital health tool.
- Consumer-Centric: Experience and in-depth understand of how to build a product that is for the end-user
- Collaborative: Ready and willing to build a product from the ground up that includes leading a team of outsourced developers, external partners and internal IT personnel, while setting the tone of a new ‘startup’
- Bias Towards Action: Is able to launch a product on an aggressive timeline, iterate quickly, roll up sleeves and make key product decisions in partnership with the HSS Health General Manager
Product Strategy Development and Build
- Define and execute against product roadmap for a suite of HSS Health digital products, including a mobile app
- Execute full product cycle, from conceptualization/development to launch and ongoing delivery and iteration
- Prioritize and select the next generation set of product features by identifying unmet consumer needs, researching competitive products and solutions, and considering buy vs. build options
- Continue to iterate on the user experience for HSS Health that is consumer-centric, seamless and interactive
- Design and maintain the digital architecture and infrastructure of HSS Health
- Lead technology interoperability plan with multiple partners and vendors
- Liaise with data and analytics subject matter experts at HSS
- Write user stories and strategy for developers to implement new features
Content Management & Integration
- Work with clinical leads to develop content and programming for product
- Define roadmap for future content and ongoing content management
- Manage vendors and partners responsible for integrating content into technology platform
Education, Required Skills, & Experience
- Bachelors degree required:
- 5+ years of experience, including launch of a product and at least 3-4 cycles of new versions
- Healthcare experience preferred but not required
- Digital product management
- Mobile content and services
- Tech architecture and operations
- Vendor and partner management
- User experience design
- Experience with the following preferred:
- Cloud Application Development and Cloud Computing (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- API Management (REST, SOAP)
- Mobile Application Development
- Content Management Systems
- Customer Identity and Access Management
- Agile methodology
NYS Licensed Massage Therapist
Hospital for Special Surgery
Hospital for Special Surgery's Westchester Ouptoatient Center is seeking a per diem Massage Therapist to join our dynamic team. The candidate will work with our staff to provide the highest quality of care to our patients.
- Develop and appropriately maintain individualized Massage Therapy sessions with client and patient population in a medical setting.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation of services and implementation of individualized treatment programs
- Provide support & education to patients and staff regarding Massage Therapy and protocols within a medical setting
- Ensure patient care and interactions are aligned with Hospital for Special Surgery’s commitment to excellence
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to interact with administrative team and clients
- Self-reliant to build client base schedule
- Part-Time position
- Current NYS Massage Therapy License
- 5+ experience working with clients who suffer from orthopedic conditions
- Demonstrate completion of continued education courses for special populations (sports, osteoporosis, arthritis, spine, joint replacements)
- Knowledge of various orthopedic pathologies and surgeries
- Additional certification and education in related sciences or exercise physiology preferred
- Dynamic self-starter with a strong interest in mentoring Massage Therapy with clinical physical therapy staff
- Highly committed to professional, collegial and organizational development; willing to participate in education ventures for staff, community and professional audiences
- Superior written and oral communication skills
Senior AIX\Unix Administrator
Under general direction of the Director of Customer Support Services, the Senior AIX\Unix Administrator oversees the configuration, installation, testing, and troubleshooting of network physical and virtual AIX, Unix, and Linux server infrastructure and operating systems. Responsibilities also include management of vendors, auditing, periodic checks to ensure smooth functioning of all the hardware components and software applications, configuring and maintaining directory services, data services, file sharing services, and resource sharing services. Participate in the development and support of Open Systems architecture and strategy across a large multi-vendor platform environment (HP, IBM, Oracle, UNIX). Manage multiple complex projects simultaneously while performing day to day operations.
- Strong AIX, Red Hat Linux and various other UNIX flavors administration skills.
- Strong knowledge of IBM Power VM, VIO upgrades, migrations and patching.
- Strong shell-scripting experience (sh, ksh, csh shells, Perl, etc.).
- Expert troubleshooting abilities.
- Understanding of data center infrastructure technologies including Disaster Recovery procedures.
- Experienced with virtual machine technology and topologies.
- Experience with backup and recovery.
- Understanding of operational and support processes and best practices.
- Desire to stay up to date on technologies and best practices.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Provide 24/7 support as needed and during emergencies.
- Monitoring network and server operations.
- Provisioning and troubleshooting virtual machines.
- Evaluate or recommend server hardware or software.
- Identify or address interoperability requirements.
- Implement updates, upgrades, and patches in a timely manner to limit loss of service.
- Identify, standardize, and communicate levels of access and security.
- Document installation or configuration procedures to allow maintenance and repetition.
- Test backup or recovery plans regularly and resolve any problems.
- Test issues such as system integration, performance, and system security on a regular schedule or after any major program modifications.
The following skill sets are highly desirable and preferred
- Knowledge of security policies and experience implementing security controls.
- Knowledge of VMware
- Knowledge on IBM Monitoring tools (Tivoli, Netcool, Impact..etc)
- Knowledge of End point protections
- Advanced Unix shell programming skills.
- High Availability cluster technologies and virtualization skills.
- Working knowledge of SSL
- IBM application monitoring skills.
- Working knowledge of AIX system performance tuning.
- Knowledge of the Cloverleaf interface engine, Lawson financial systems and Kronos time and attendance in an IBM AIX and Redhat Linux environments a strong plus.
EDUCATION – Required
- BA in computer science/information technology (or equivalent experience)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the use, support and maintenance of PC systems, software, networks, and related hardware.