Click column header to sort
Patient Access Specialist
A highly visible customer service position that is responsible for the reception of patients, families, and health care providers. The Patient Access Specialist is an expert in areas of customer service, registration/scheduling, insurance, and HSS Standards of Care. Patient Access Specialist is expected to score in the top 5% of measureable categories within 6 months of hire.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patients, visitors, and customers
- Prioritize patient flow
- Verify insurance and obtain benefits
- Triage phone calls and schedule appointments
- Respond to patient, visitor, and customer inquiries
- Obtain patient demographics, personal information, and medical history by interviewing patients
- Collect payments
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein
- Bachelor's degree preferred; Diploma or equivalent with 3 years of experience
- Two years in a healthcare or related customer service field
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of healthcare and health insurance
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Displays positive attitudes towards assignments and others
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages
Education Program Specialist
Professional Education Department
Reporting to the Director, Accreditation & Compliance, the Education Program Specialist will ensure that HSS Professional Education activities follow the Hospital’s internal procedures and satisfy the accreditation and compliance policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the standard for all professional education activities provided by HSS, in addition to the policies of overseeing bodies for relevant professions such as Physical Therapists, Physician Assistants and Certified Athletic Trainers. The Specialist’s responsibilities will include the management of activities of diverse formats, such as onsite and live streaming courses, Regularly Scheduled Series (RSS), webinars, on-demand/enduring content, and printed and online journals.
The Education Program Specialist is responsible for a range of functions including curriculum development, faculty communication and management and reporting. S/he will collaborate with internal and external Activity Directors, planning committees and faculty, colleagues in Education Marketing and Digital Communications and others within Professional Education to advance HSS as the most trusted educator.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, select “front-end” activity planning functions that include application preparation, faculty communication and management, financial disclosure and conflict of interest resolution:
- Create and maintain required activity documentation and other materials to assure compliance with requirements of ACCME and other regulatory bodies, such as the NYS Dept. of Education and the BOC.
- Complete CME applications and Program Request Forms for onsite and live streaming courses, Regularly Scheduled Series (RSS), webinars, on-demand/enduring content, and printed and online journals.
- Complete applications to third party regulatory bodies, like state-specific boards for Physical Therapy, as required.
- Stay current on new policies and updates from accrediting bodies such as the Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers and inform team of new practices and requirements.
- Assist Activity Directors in determining and resolving conflicts of interest.
- Collect relevant consents, such as patient consents, as needed.
- Steer Activity Director(s) and Planning Committee members in the collaborative development of activities that are balanced, independent and objective and align with clinician interests.
- Communicate with faculty about the disclosure process and generate confirmation letters that relate HSS policies about content, honoraria, travel and expense reimbursement, if relevant.
- Develop activity evaluation to capture learner change data and overall perception of activities.
- Coordinate RSS activities by conducting twice yearly audits, distributing CME transcripts, producing multi-year review sheets.
- Collate data on activities (completion rate, success in meeting objectives, solvency) and deliver reports to HSS leadership.
- Provides on-site support for Professional Education on-site and live streaming activities as needed.
- Assist with CME Committee agenda and minutes.
The qualified candidate will
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills and strict attention to detail.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, online survey management tools, learning management systems and other computer software programs.
- Be professional, proactive and experienced in communicating with executive management.
- Have familiarity with healthcare academia or knowledge/experience in a CME accredited setting.
- Hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (e.g., Health Education, Public Health, Health Communication, Health Technology).
- Have professional experience in a related field
Full Time Medical Secretary (35 hours per week)
Dr. Mark Drakos - Orthopedic Specialist in Disorders of Foot and Ankle and Sports Related Injuries:
(This office will be located in Uniondale, NY at Long Island)
Hospital for Special Surgery, #1 in Orthopedics for the last 10 years and is currently looking for an experienced and energetic Full time Medical Secretary for one of our physician offices. Dr. Drakos is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in disorders of the foot and ankle as well as sports related injuries. In this role you will provide comprehensive administrative support to an HSS physician practice and contribute to an environment of clinical excellence.
In this role, you will provide support for the operations of the medical office. This includes, but not limited to, answering phones, scheduling patient appointments, obtain authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures, patient check-in/out, including copay collection, scanning documents into the EMR and any additional tasks as assigned.
- Experience with EpicMedical Records System required; strong computer skills required as well
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to follow through with tasks to completion
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Ability to effectively and accurately follow directions or instructions
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team; offers to help coworkers when needed
- Ability to escalate issues appropriately
- Consistently displays a positive attitude towards one’s work and work environment
- Knowledge of healthcare and health insurance, required
- Familiarity with medical terminology and general office protocol required.
- The ability to type 45-60 words per minute and exceptional organizational strengths is required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Position is critical to maintain the current and growing demands placed on the Budget and Decision Support Department for detailed analysis and tracking. There are more requests for new reports and analysis of New Positions, vacancies, variances including ad-hoc reports from Crystal, Lawson (Infor) and IBM Cognos TM1
- Analysis of Payroll Transactions - Support for monthly Salary Analysis
- Review and approve requisition List, Enter Personnel Requisitions and Update list with Payroll Activity (Hiring)
- Update Table of Organization file with Current Info (Filled names, Vacancies, Position Control number changes)
- Calculation and Summarization of FTEs
- Development of the Table of Organization for the Budget Process
- Other General Assistance with the Budget Process
- Preparation of the Monthly MIAC Invoice - Account analysis of MIAC General Ledger account Reconciliation of Loss Run to Financial Results
- FTE, Vacancy, Overtime, Per Diem, FMLA, Raises and New Positions analysis
- Other Special Projects as determined by Management
- Liaison with HR and other departments to resolve discrepancies
- Assist with month end close process including entering Journal entries in General ledger (Lawson/Infor)
- Assist with the ongoing maintenance of the IBM Cognos TM1 Budget
HR Business Partner – Talent Acquisition
We seek an experienced Technology/Finance Recruiter with a strong generalist orientation to join our dynamic HR team.
In this highly visible and interactive role you will provide both hands-on and strategic direction in the recruitment, selection and on-boarding of professionals in all job categories, with a focus on business units. Primary responsibilities will include partnering with hiring managers to identify diverse talent pipelines and strategies for hard-to-fill and niche positions. Primary duties will include coaching hiring managers, scripting ads and strategizing media plans, managing applicant pools, screening resumes, interviewing applicants, and identifying strengths/fit with a concentration on technology, finance, marketing, development, value, innovation and other related clinical support and business roles.
The successful candidate will possess a minimum of three years full-cycle recruitment experience within a healthcare or academic framework. Proficiency in working with a variety of sourcing techniques including social media, print and on-line recruitment and applicant tracking systems is required. The ability to build relationships and work effectively with all levels of staff and management is essential. Exceptional written and verbal skills as well as the ability to apply legally sound employment policies/practices in a complex environment also required. iCIMS ATS strongly preferred as well as experience in utilizing Lawson or related HRIS. Bachelor’s degree required. SHRM certification highly desirable.
Application Analyst II
Salesforce CRM Implementation
Hospital for Special Surgery has an opportunity for an experienced Analyst to collaborate on all aspects of the implementation of Salesforce Health Cloud for patient access and referrals. As a key member of the Information Technology Department, the Salesforce Analyst will attain specialized knowledge of the software and serve as a vital liaison between the HSS IT Department, hospital departments, HSS Connect, patient access, and physician’s offices.
**This position requires the flexibility to work an expanded work schedule, including early mornings, nights & weekends during major implementation and support efforts**
- Actively work on all aspects of Salesforce implementations through the maintenance stage
- Coordinate and communicate with patient referrals and access personnel, including managers, representatives from other business entities and physician’s offices
- Routinely perform in-depth analysis of workflows, data collection, report details and other build, design and configuration issues associated with Epic use
- Develop product content (build all necessary codes/databases/rules/functions) for each implementation
- Prioritize and implement system change requests; coordinate software updates and changes with end-users
- Ensure test scripts are created, reviewed and updated to reflect proposed workflow solutions
- Collaborate effectively with Salesforce premier support using appropriate tools
- Develop relationships, trust, and credibility to successfully manage multiple demands; maintain daily communications with Salesforce end-users
- Review software, workflows, analyze business operations, and collaborate with colleagues, HSS Business Representatives/Subject Matter Experts and end-users to ensure systems are suitable for the organization’s HSS Connect, patient access and physician’s practice needs
- Assume responsibility for developing and documenting internal procedures used in conjunction with Salesforce applications; play an integral role in supporting the HSS adoption and engagement strategy (i.e., train, support and optimize access, referrals, scheduling, clinical, financial & practice management solutions)
- Thoroughly review and test each new release and enhancement; perform system configuration and database setup according to practice/software requirements
- Provide on-site support during go-live and system upgrade scenarios; provide on-call support on a rotating basis
- Assist with all Quality Assurance processes including change management and testing efforts; participate in disaster recovery measures
- Participate in user meetings, in-services and internal team meetings; Provide subject-matter-expert knowledge transfer to colleagues
- Remain current on Salesforce technologies and obtain certification in Salesforce applications as warranted
- Bachelor’s Degree required; BA/BS degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 2+ years of relevant experience required and at least 1 year of related application experience
- At least 1 year of healthcare experience required
- Solid understanding of the operational practices of customer relationship management solutions, scheduling, referrals, patient access for certain types of visits, and how these practices relate to the medical record flow for appointments
- Familiarity with business integration points, including new patient creation, appointment scheduling, registration, benefits, referrals, PCP assignment and referral orders
- Driven to expand on current healthcare IT knowledge and expertise
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and pragmatic; a team player who is analytical and solution-focused
- Superior oral, written and non-verbal communication skills; ability to forge and maintain strong professional relationships
- Expert level proficiency with MS Office, including: Project, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, SharePoint
- Ability to contribute to meetings, prioritize issues, resolve conflicts, manage project plan and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Successful candidates will be required to obtain/maintain Salesforce Certification(s) essential to their function
- Flexibility to work an expanded work schedule, including early mornings, nights & possibly weekends during major implementation and support efforts
- Ability to conduct detailed assessment of current state workflows & develop efficient future state workflows
- Master’s or advanced degree preferred
- Certified in one or more applications, must maintain certification on an ongoing basis
- Epic application experience
- Kyruus scheduling application experience
- Current Salesforce Certification(s) strongly preferred
- 3+ years working in a healthcare patient access, registration & scheduling environment
- Prior experience implementing, teaching and supporting clinical and non-clinical users with new applications in a hospital environment is optimal
- Cross-application integration experience is highly desired
- Assessment and change management/transformation experience preferred
- Experience and participation in at least one full implementation lifecycle
- Physical Working Conditions
- Comfortable indoor area
- Sitting in a comfortable position with frequent opportunity to move about the department
- Ability to travel to and from mid-town Manhattan to the main Hospital campus and various offsite locations as required
Qualified candidates who desire to be part of a world-class team protecting and building upon our legacy of excellence are encouraged to apply now!
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities.
HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.
Coordinator, Managed Care
Payer Strategy & Contracting
In this role you will work closely with the Assistant Director and responsibilities will include managing the overall relationships with the managed care companies. This may include assisting in contracting, rate analysis, maintenance of rate sheets, and overall trouble-shooting when issues arise both internally and externally.
In this role, you will work closely with the Assistant Director to address claims payment issues from payers.
You will be involved in all aspects of underpayments/rate appeals, including identifying variances, identifying and resolving root causes of claims issues, identifying trends, tracking payment, working directly with the payers on these issues and interacting daily with Patient Accounting.
You will be responsible for leading the Joint Operating Committee meetings. This will include developing agendas, preparing summaries and reporting on results and production.
Responsibilities include preparing weekly, monthly and ad hoc reports on rate appeal activity and resolution.
The individual will show a demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of the organization. Additionally, the individual will also interact with payer contacts at all levels.
The individual will keep appraised on payer payment rules and administrative policies.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in hospital or managed care setting. Previous hospital, payer or managed care insurance experience required. Must be knowledgeable in facility claims and reimbursement methodologies as well as overall managed care concepts.
Detail orientated individual with the ability handle multiple project simultaneously while working with all levels and departments of the organization is essential. The individual must possess a willingness to learn and grow within the Payer Strategy department.
Strong computer and IT skills required with proficiency with Excel and Word a must. Epic experience preferred, but not required.
Clinical Nurse – Inpatient Orthopedics
Department of Nursing
As an integral member of our Magnet Nursing team, the successful RN candidate will be focused on – patient advocacy and delivering the highest quality of care to our patients! Working in an evidence-based nursing environment that commands excellence every day, you will provide comprehensive pre- and post-operative nursing care to our patients and their families in this acute care setting. Our core values center on respect, consideration, compassion for all individuals and maintaining awareness of diverse cultural and religious beliefs. Your capacity to collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and promote the highest standards of care and safety is critical to the mission of Nursing in HSS.
- Work collaboratively with multidisciplinary health care teams to maintain the standards of professional nursing practices in a clinical setting
- Collect comprehensive data on patients’ health (from patients and/or family members); Analyze data to determine needs & develop individualized care plans; update care plans based on progression and pathway as well as manage care delivery
- Ensure that all physician orders are carried out appropriately and timely; work collaboratively with ancillary staff, including Patient Care Assistants
- Integrate patient care standards in all clinical activities; participate in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety, quality of care and patient outcomes
- Maintain sensitivity and awareness of cultural and religious diversity when addressing patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers
- Promote a supportive and team-oriented environment
- Support departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range strategic plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital
- BSN from an accredited school of nursing required
- 1+ years’ of acute care experience
- NYS RN license and registration required
- BLS certification required
- HCAHPS/EPIC knowledge preferred
- Your scope of duties will include medical-surgical clinical competence, incorporating physical and emotional assessments, age specific competency, critical thinking skills, and educating patients and their family members regarding their plan of care and clinical pathway.
- Strong patient centered approach with emphasis on providing exemplary and world-class customer service
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated and proactive; a team player who knows how to think critically in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Active participant in seeking solutions to problems
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities. HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.
Founded in 1863, Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is a world leader in orthopedics, rheumatology and rehabilitation. In the most recent U.S. News & World Report “American’s Best Hospitals” issue, HSS ranks #1 in orthopedics and #2 in rheumatology. In addition, the American Nurses Credentialing Center has honored HSS with four consecutive designations of Magnet® recognition. HSS has one of the lowest infection rates in the country.
HSS physicians are team doctors for the New York Mets, New York Giants, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, New York Rangers, New York Liberty, and New York Red Bulls.
Hospital for Special Surgery is located in New York City and online at www.hss.edu
Provide our world-renowned healthcare team with comprehensive administrative support. In this position, you will schedule procedures and act in accordance with the protocols established and goals of the Radiology & Imaging Department. You will enter and maintain information in scheduling module of RIS system as well as scan pertinent documentation for distribution to required Supervisors and staff. You will also distribute schedules to areas as required and ensure confidentiality of data.
Ensuring the delivery of the highest quality of patient care, you will assist staff nurses in providing comprehensive attention to patients and families, while working in an environment that commands clinical excellence every day. Your duties will include providing input for patient care plans, reviewing patient status, and assisting in obtaining patient data. Other responsibilities will entail monitoring changes in patient conditions, supporting admission and discharge processes, and making patients and families feel at home.