Compliments and supports physicians, nursing and registrar staff in the provision of care to patients and families according to established standards of care. The Scheduler consistently facilitates communication between health care providers, patients, and families. He/she ensures timely, accurate documentation as required for statistical purposes that support HSS research and hospital operation. This position provides support to the other Schedulers by assisting with problem solving, education of new staff/new technology, and in taking on various projects in the clinic.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Facilitates processing of admitting orders and pre-surgical screening. Demonstrates knowledge of orthopedic conditions and protocols particular to assigned services. Collaborates with Service Chief to arrange coverage for service and designated operative cases.
- Responds to customer concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding.
- Observes and respects the privacy and confidentiality of information in accordance with HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with peers, physicians and other members of the team, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate cultural competency. Recognizes, respects and adapts to social, cultural and religious beliefs of patients and practices in the provision of care.
- Effectively communicates with various departments to disseminate and receive information as requested.
- Utilizes computerized systems to support efficient operational management.
- Schedules appointments, conferences, diagnostic testing, pre-surgical clearance and surgery as directed by the physician. Provides notification/updates of schedule changes to all services involved.
- Maintain awareness of patient needs for financial/social assistance.
- Informs patients and family of scheduled appointments.
- Provide timely notification or cancellation of proposed surgery and date, to covering attending of surgery and appropriate others.
- Facilitates accurate surgical billing with appropriate ICD-10 coding.
- Verifies and processes insurance coverage before scheduling for testing/surgery.
- Provides education and support to staff.
- Identifies issues that refine and streamline processes.
To qualify you must have a High School diploma or equivalent, Associates preferred with a minimum of 1 to 2 years experience. The successful candidate must have excellent communication and computer skills with attention to detail. Knowledge of medical terminology is essential.