Director, Data Center Operations
HSS Data Center facilities contain many complex electronic, electrical, power and cooling systems that require specialized engineering skillsets to maintain.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Director of Data Center Operations will provide operational oversight and strategic management of the Hospital’s various data center facilities. This senior level position is critical to the effective daily operations of the various data center facilities that host the mission critical computing systems that the hospital relies upon for its operations.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Oversight of all physical computing facilities - data centers (on-premise, or co-located), server rooms, switching closets, UPS and power equipment rooms, et cetera
- Management of the electrical, HVAC (cooling), UPS, and other critical equipment in the computing facilities
- Operational oversight, monitoring, capacity planning, upgrades and maintenance of the equipment
- Management and allocation of facilities resources (e.g. cooling, power, floor/rack space)
- Regular maintenance and tests of equipment
- Ensure compliance with applicable government facilities’ codes and regulations
- Interface with IT Infrastructure Managers, Hospital Facilities departments, vendors, and hosting facilities service providers
- Providing strategic direction over the evolution of the Hospitals data center operations and facilities
- Management of data center operations staff and contractors
- Travel to the Hospital’s various data centers and regional sites may be required
- Must have at least 5 years experience managing mission-critical data centers at medium to large enterprises, or at data center facility providers (co-location facilities).
- Must have proven managerial experience working with technical professionals, as well as business facing colleagues and Facilities Engineering teams.
- Should possess excellent working knowledge of the systems that support the data center environment and facilities – i.e.: HVAC, electrical power, UPS, fire suppression systems, cabling, equipment enclosures, et cetera
- Must possess a good understanding of network and cabling infrastructure
- Demonstrates strong organization, time-management, prioritization, independent-decision making, problem-solving, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Works well under deadlines, is a self-starter, innovative, team-oriented, and customer-focused
- Has at least 10 years of work experience within data center equipment/environments, including switch gears, generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, controls, security monitoring systems and fire safety systems.
- Has experience managing vendor relationships, and sound understanding of standard and practices and regulations in the data center management operations field
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related engineering field
- Certified Data Center Expert or equivalent Data Center Management certification strongly preferred