Hospital for Special Surgery
PRIMARY FUNCTION/PURPOSE: The Development Associate is a key member of a dynamic fundraising team for the nation’s #1 orthopedic hospital. Working closely with front-line fundraisers, the associate will provide critical support for all aspects of their work including the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of grateful patients; and assisting in the planning and execution of special events. The Associate supports the full-range of the fundraising process by arranging appointments and meetings; assisting with mailings; collaborating on written materials including briefings, remarks and acknowledgements; researching prospects and donors; and updating prospect/donor activity in the departmental database.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Foster critical relationships established by Development Directors with HSS physicians by building strong working relationships with their staff to meet fundraising objectives and campaign priorities.
- Assist Development Directors with the cultivation and stewardship of high net worth individuals by ensuring all information is captured in the departmental database and next steps are tracked as relationships are built and progress is made to securing a gift.
- Assist with researching potential donors in collaboration with the research team.
- Assist in the planning and execution of donor meetings and events, which includes scheduling, coordinating logistics with the special events team and preparing briefing materials and remarks for volunteer leadership, senior administrators, and physicians, etc.
- Collaborate with the Development Directors and writing staff to draft compelling correspondence to donors and prospects, including proposals, stewardship reports and personalized acknowledgement letters.
- Assist with the preparation of materials for Development and Campaign Committees, including, but not limited to, PowerPoint presentations, writing remarks, etc.
- Gain understanding of the department’s goals and vision, and how they relate to the overall organization and mission of HSS.
- Perform additional related duties as required.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- A minimum of two years of professional work experience is required. Fundraising experience a plus.
- Well organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Flexible and resourceful. Exercises exceptional judgment.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with the ability to easily learn other software and database systems. Experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar application required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; unquestionable personal integrity; and diplomatic and discreet.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills. (A writing test is required.)
- Enjoys working in a collaborative environment and cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A highly confident and dedicated individual, with the necessary drive and energy to respond to the demands of a high-performing fundraising office and world-renowned medical institution.
- A bachelor’s degree is required