Program Associate, VOICES Medicaid Managed Care Education
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS)
The primary responsibility of the Program Associate is to assist patients in accessing and maintaining HSS's specialty care by providing education and advocacy, including insurance authorization for care, related to New York State Medicaid managed care programs. This includes patient education, collaboration with the HSS health care team, insurance companies, and community/government services.
Position reports to the Program Supervisor, VOICES Medicaid Managed Care Education
- Provide education and advocacy in Ambulatory Care Center (ACC) clinics to primarily low-income, chronically ill patients and their families regarding their options under Medicaid managed care.
- Provide assistance, advocacy and intervention to patients with out-of-network insurance seeking care at the ACC.
- Proactively identify re-visit patients with out-of-network Medicaid prior to their medical visits, and request authorization for care from managed care insurance companies.
- Collaborate with the HSS health care team and staff, including doctors, nurses, social workers, registrars and surgical schedulers, to best meet patients’ insurance related needs.
- Make appropriate referrals to HSS programs and services, such as the Financial Assistance Program and ACC Social Work, and community-based agencies, such as NY Medicaid CHOICE and the NYC Human Resources Administration.
- Collect program data, including documentation of patient contacts and interventions.
- Serve as an active participant in department, committee and job related meetings.
- Participate in special projects and additional duties as needed.
Applicant must be highly committed to providing access to care, excellent patient education and advocacy, and team collaboration. Must be able to work independently, with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of health care related experience, preferably related to public insurance.