Assistant Director, Epic Ambulatory
IT Department is seeking an Assistant Director, Clinical Applications to oversee Ambulatory Clinical and Ancillary applications teams. The Epic Application Assistant Director supervises multiple application teams and their associated projects. This role manages, assigns and monitors work for the Epic Project team. The Assistant Director is accountable for delegation and oversight of deliverables, and management of staff within an Application team. The Assistant Director serves an escalation point for the team, and represents the team in leadership / management activities. He/she oversees administrative and supervisory tasks, such as performance management. The Assistant Director provides coaching and mentorship to team members, and actively develops the capabilities of the team
The Assistant Director will be responsible for oversight of the Ambulatory Clinical application teams servicing operative and non-operative physician offices, ambulatory clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, offsite regional locations, rehabilitation medicine, clinical support staff, and other outpatient Epic users. Epic modules oversight include EpicCare Ambulatory, EpicCare Bones, EpicCare Link, MyChart, Care Everywhere, Research Administration and Haiku/Canto in addition to other IT applications for these users and functional departments.
He/She is accountable for forecasting, budgeting and contracting. The Assistant Director provides strategic direction and guidance to the department, and supports realization of HSS strategic goals through technology initiatives. This role forms and maintains collaborative relationships with business leaders and represents IT leadership within the organization.
Key duties & responsibilities:
Strategy and Innovation
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization’s Mission and Vision, and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Challenge existing ideas and develop and champions new ones that add value to the organization
- Conduct IT strategic planning in accordance with the organization’s strategic goals and champion programs
Standards and Accountability
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization’s Core Values and Service Standards and incorporate them into the performance of duties
- Ensure leading practice standards are implemented
- Ensure all quality assurance processes are followed, including change management and testing efforts
Planning and Decision Making
- Manage the scope, cost, schedule, quality, and success of assigned applications and participate in management of the Clinical projects
- Work with appropriate parties to identify change implications, target audiences and messaging techniques.
- Ensure functionality in new releases is properly analyzed to consider for implementation, and approve new functionality for implementation
- Oversee software updates and changes
- Oversee the development, review and delivery of project deliverables identified in the project plan
- Ensure processes and other technical solutions are effectively tested and integrated.
- Partner with operational leadership to scope change and enhancement requests and vet through governance process.
- Ensure the thorough review and testing each new release and enhancement.
- Oversee the identification, documentation, research, and resolution of project and related project issues.
- Ensure collaboration with the training team, and coordination of team on training activities
- Ensure that data interfacing into and out of Epic and other applications meets business needs.
- Participate in disaster recovery measures.
- Provide oversight of on-site support activities during go-lives and system upgrades.
- Oversee the change management process.
- Identify and vet escalated project issues and oversee resolution.
- Prepare budgets and cost estimates and monitor spending
- Negotiate with vendors and conduct contracting
People Management / Self-Management
- Ensure open lines of communication among the project tracks, teams, and users
- Create, evaluate, and justify staffing requirements.
- Oversee coaching and performance management provided to the team by Managers and Leads.
- Provide team members to with growth opportunities, stretch roles and training
- Lead, assign and monitor work for the project team and guide and train team members.
- Conduct performance reviews in accordance with HSS policy.
- Stay current on health care and technology topics, and pursue opportunities to expand knowledge
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and experience implementing Epic applications
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Significant process design experience
- Significant ability in staff mentoring and adherence to process standards around documentation and workflow design
- Excellent project management skills (ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues list, manage project plan)
- Strong team building skills
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in a relevant field of work and 7+ years of experience, or equivalent combination of education/experience
- Advanced degree or clinical certification preferred. Nursing Informatics background preferred
- Epic certification in lead application required. Additional workflow certifications preferred.
- At least three year of Epic experience
- Significant IT implementation and/or support experience
- Participation in at least one full implementation lifecycle
- Experience leading multiple teams concurrently in a complex, high paced environment
- Significant healthcare experience
- Project Management Professional, or like experience