The Patient Relationship Manager plays a vital role in the facilitation of services for HSS international patients as well as for development and cultivation of strong relationships within the regions from which their patients originate. The Patient Relationship Manager acts as the central point of contact for the international patients, functioning as a liaison between the patient, medical offices, hospital departments, and the InternationalCenter. Relationships with patients and their family and/or contacts will be managed with the utmost sensitivity to cultural and language needs. The Manager will play a central role in facilitating the schedule and experience of the international patient throughout their visit to the HSS campus, as well as act as a point of communication after the patients have returned home. This position reports to the Director, InternationalCenter.
- Functions as a representative of the InternationalCenter throughout HSS as well as with relevant contacts in a patient’s home country, the Manager will ensure the fostering and cultivation of positive and productive relationships and communications with patients, HSS staff and physician offices.
- Meets and greets international patient visitors either at the InternationalCenter or at another location as necessary. Provides registration support to ensure that all relevant demographic information is collected and that internal systems coding is accurate so as to facilitate patient’s experience with all relevant departments. This includes the internal IC database.
- Accompanies patients to medical appointments as deemed necessary and visits patients during their hospital stay. Provides support and assistance to patient and family as needed and requested, within established service level guidelines.
- Works with medical offices and hospital departments to facilitate internal referral appointments for other physicians and hospital services. The Manager is supported by the financial group of the InternationalCenter for the preparation of estimates for services.
- Facilitates concierge service requests of the IC patients (e.g. interpreters, accommodations, transportation, etc. as needed).
- Communicates estimates to the patient and or family as needed and works with IC staff to facilitate and respond to payment issues and coordination. Receives and manages letters of guarantee from embassies. Works with IC financial staff to ensure embassies have all necessary documentation to process timely payment. Ensures patient is aware of services covered by a particular letter of guarantee.
- Reviews status of patient cases, maintaining knowledge of individual patient case load details. Makes department management aware of potential financial or accommodative issues regarding a patient case so as to initiate appropriate action or formulate appropriate response.
- Works with the IC Patient Care Coordinator, RN to assist with potential facilitation of services, special instructions, and/or recommendations in the patient’s home country. Remains the point of contact for the IC patients.
- Acts as a point of reference for the referral process in the absence of the IC Patient Care Coordinator, RN.
- The Manager will keep on-going and open communications with physician offices and hospital departments so as to ensure the best possible service to IC patients. This would include working with IC leadership to perform outreach to new as well as existing physician offices to orient them to the role of the IC in an international patient’s HSS experience.
- Documents actions on behalf of patient in IC database (appointment information, including cancellations, changes and demographics, etc).
- Works with the Patient Services Coordinator to facilitate the utilization of the 2nd opinion program and ensures all documents are received by MD, payment secured, and final report provided to patient.
- Acts as a resource to, and source for, IC leadership for initiatives to improve the overall experience of the IC patient. Supports IC leadership in these initiatives.
- Upholds professional standards of HSS and the InternationalCenter by following proper telephone techniques and email etiquette, and adherence to departmental dress code guidelines.
Performs all other duties as required/requested.