POSITION: Senior Director, Strategic Financial Planning
BACKGROUND AND POSITION OVERVIEW:
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Financial Planning, the Senior Director will work closely and collaboratively with senior leadership throughout the Finance Department and the rest of the organization. A Senior Financial Analyst will report to the Senior Director.
He/she will be financially responsible for a diverse portfolio of strategic projects and be a key team member throughout the process from concept development to “go-live” and “post go-live.” These responsibilities will include preparation of business plans and financial feasibility studies, being an integral part of the team developing and negotiating deal structures, preparing presentations for senior leadership, medical staff, and the Board, and coordinating all financial activities around the implementation and post-live management of strategic initiatives.
The Senior Director will have demonstrated a deep and comprehensive knowledge in healthcare financial, operational, and regulatory issues. He/she will have outstanding team building and communication skills, as well as strong strategic and financial analysis skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an extensive understanding of HSS’s strategic roadmap, integrated strategic financial plan, finances, operations, and regulatory issues, and implications on various strategic initiatives
- Stay current on developments in healthcare finance and industry dynamics; anticipate changes and their corresponding impact on the department/organization; provide strategic counsel and new thinking that adds value to the Hospital
- Establish best practices, improve processes, systems and work flows to achieve the highest level of productivity
- Establish strong working relationships with leadership throughout the organization
- Develop, lead and/or support presentations at Board, Leadership Council, and other meetings.
- Assume full responsibility as the strategic financial-planning point person for the strategic initiatives assigned; manage all projects through a systematic approach that translates work plans into deliverables, with measurable outcomes, on a timely and cost-effective basis.
- Perform rigorous financial analyses; analyze and assess market dynamics, as well as forecast the impact of strategic initiatives on market share; develop financial models and prepare feasibility studies that support the overall forecasts required for specific strategic projects.
- Drawing on experience and knowledge of hospital finance and the healthcare industry, test conclusions/issues/risks, using organized and creative problem solving and clear logic flows.
- Ensure that senior leadership is apprised of progress toward goals and of any issues, through regular project updates and critical-issue identification.
- Be an effective leader and member on hospital planning and implementation teams.
- Communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of internal constituencies; through clear and concise written and oral communications; proactively question, thinking out of the box.
- Manage and mentor personnel; help build a highly capable and engaged team, and foster a team-centered culture wholly consistent with that of the hospital.
- A bachelor’s degree IN A RELATED FIELD is required. Advanced degrees are desirable, but not required.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Solid experience (minimum 7 years) in strategic financial analysis/planning FOR/IN A HOSPITAL is required. Major teaching/surgical hospital experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of hospital finances, operations, regulatory environment, strategic planning, and the hospital/healthcare industry, as well as external environmental forces, is required.
- Expertise in leading and developing comprehensive feasibility studies: analyzing and assessing market dynamics; building logical financial models; forecasting market share is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory, team-related experience is required.
- Technology savvy: excellent understanding of processes and databases; can manipulate large data sets and analyze findings; adept at Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.