The position of Senior Director, Spine & Physiatry, offers an extraordinary opportunity to be an integral leader of this world class, groundbreaking institution, working collaboratively with the Chiefs of Spine and Physiatry to establish and achieve administrative, clinical, research and educational goals and to manage and coordinate complex service operations. This is a multidimensional role driving improved performance in the midst of a changing market and evolving physician models.
The Senior Director, Spine & Physiatry, reports to the Vice President, Service Lines with dotted line responsibility to the Chiefs of Spine and Physiatry. This role will have regular interaction with the Chiefs as well as 34 physicians (17 surgical in Spine, 17 in Physiatry). The position directly supervises a Senior Service Coordinator, Assistant Coordinator, Senior Director, Research, and an Assistant Director, Research.
The Service Lines Department is focused on strategically supporting the medical leadership of these Services. To that end, the Senior Director, Spine & Physiatry will serve as a key leader of each Department and help manage initiatives which affect the respective Service Lines.
- Ability to quickly establish a trust and credibility with the Vice President, Chiefs, Spine & Physiatry, service line physicians, senior leadership, and staff throughout the organization.
- Demonstrated success applying project management tools to ensure that program targets are met on time and on budget in building the infrastructure for a world-class Service.
- Ability to serve as the division’s liaison to the hospital to help streamline the patient experience, manage patient throughput more efficiently and support the aftercare component.
- Willingness to serve as an active member of the Spine & Physiatry Leadership Committees, and other committees as needed to represent the needs of each division.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide strategic direction and implement creative strategies in a solidly matrixed, complex organizational environment that is both consensus- and mission-driven.
- Strong financial acumen to develop and manage budgets, oversee the revenue stream and maximize reimbursement, seeking economies of scale that will ensure the continued success of the division.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate a vision for Spine & Physiatry, cultivating strong relationships and working confidently with staff at all levels of the organization to create an environment rooted in partnership and collaboration.
- Successful experience in physician recruitment to assist in managing the anticipated growth of each division over the next five years.
- Demonstrated business expertise to serve as an advocate for physicians, assisting them in understanding and managing costs to ensure they are being properly compensated for procedures.
- Proven ability to build and maintain allegiances with physicians and the willingness to be viewed as their champion while maintaining a focus on the efficiency and effectiveness of the Service Line.
- Superior written and oral communication skills with the ability to exude confidence and credibility when interacting with people internally and externally on behalf of HSS.
- Highly developed critical thinking skills to find creative and innovative solutions to complex problems and issues.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines in an environment of constant change, developing and maintaining a continuous improvement mindset that will ensure efficient and effective operations and an excellent patient experience.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Strategic and forward-thinking.
- Creative and flexible.
- Articulate and collaborative.
- High sense of purpose and urgency.
- Unquestionable personal integrity.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- A sense of humor.
- Building rapport and instilling confidence with the Vice President, Chiefs, physicians, senior leadership, and staff throughout the organization.
- Developing a deep understanding of HSS and the complexity of the institution’s physician model and in collaboration with the Vice President and Chiefs, explore a range of structural and organizational options to create the vision and strategic plan for the division.
- Facilitate the establishment of annual Service Goals in administrative/ business, clinical, research and education areas.
- Collaborate with the Service Chief to develop, implement, and update the Service’s strategic plan, including tactics that will position the Service for growth and maximize organizational efficiencies.
- Establishing and maintaining processes to improve patient care, increase efficiency and ease the burden on surgeons’ office staff through programs such as pre-surgical screening centralized scheduling, a routine surveillance program and a post-discharge nurse practitioner call program.
- Working closely with the Chief, ARJR, to ensure that operations are consistent with the overall clinical and academic service goals and support the individual and collective career goals of the faculty.
- Working closely with the Chief, Surgeon-in-Chief, VP, and Chief Executive Officer to develop and implement a Service physician recruitment plan to accommodate the growing demand for services while meeting the needs of physicians for case load, office facilities and operating room space.
- Collaborating with practice administrators to improve business functions that ensure smooth patient and physician experience.
- Increasing patient efficiency through a series of perioperative process pilots including redesigning the implant management process to enable delivery to the OR.
- Continuing to advance the research goals of the services.
- Proactively work with Service members to ensure that they are on track for nomination in Society/Association memberships.
- Creating and maintaining a highly effective and efficient infrastructure through the use of best practices and a continuous improvement mindset.
- Assessing the governance structure and working with service leadership to put in place enhancements that will ensure the achievement of service goals.
- As the ARJR’s liaison to the organization, working with physicians, Nursing, Finance, Marketing and Public Relations, Development and other departments to provide resources and information about the division as needed.
- Continuing efforts in inpatient efficiency including procedures to reduce length of stay and increase discharge to home where appropriate.
- Modeling the basic values and principles of Hospital for Special Surgery.