How you move is why we’re here. ®
Now more than ever.
Get back to what you need and love to do.
The possibilities are endless...
Now more than ever, our guiding principles are helping us in our search for exceptional talent - candidates who align with our unique workplace culture and who want to maximize
the abundant opportunities for growth and success.
If this describes you then let’s talk!
HSS is consistently among the top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report. As a recipient of the Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence, HSS was the first hospital in New York City to receive the distinguished designation. Whether you are early in your career or an expert in your field, you will find HSS an innovative, supportive and inclusive environment.
Working with colleagues who love what they do and are deeply committed to our Mission, you too can be part of our transformation across the enterprise
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages inventory and supplies including the monitoring and tracking of lot numbers and expiration dates.
- Decontaminates laboratory equipment as required.
- Coordinates with the Biomedical team and Facilities to remove or replace laboratory equipment as needed.
- Distributes supplies and equipment for use as directed.
- Transports patient specimens, laboratory materials and supplies to and from laboratory departments within HSS, other hospitals and facilities as needed.
- Cleans and disinfects work areas and disposes of chemical/biohazard spills when applicable.
- Maintains freezers and refrigerators, including defrosting and cleaning.
- Collects soiled lab coats for laundering.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Performs related job duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Knowledge of specified laboratory solutions, materials and/or media.
- Knowledge of safe and proper handling of laboratory specimens, supplies and equipment in accordance with regulatory requirements and manufacturers guidelines.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Knowledge of cleaning procedures as per manufacturer’s specifications and/or facilities protocol for laboratory equipment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors/fumes, and/or loud noises.
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent preferred, not required.