How you move is why we’re here. ®
Now more than ever.
Get back to what you need and love to do.
The possibilities are endless...
Now more than ever, our guiding principles are helping us in our search for exceptional talent - candidates who align with our unique workplace culture and who want to maximize
the abundant opportunities for growth and success.
If this describes you then let’s talk!
HSS is consistently among the top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report. As a recipient of the Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence, HSS was the first hospital in New York City to receive the distinguished designation. Whether you are early in your career or an expert in your field, you will find HSS an innovative, supportive and inclusive environment.
Working with colleagues who love what they do and are deeply committed to our Mission, you too can be part of our transformation across the enterprise
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), the world leader in musculoskeletal health, is seeking an Applied Statistician to join the Center for Analytics, Modeling, & Performance (CAMP). This new venture aligns experts in data engineering, data science, operational excellence, and medicine to pioneer new and innovative care delivery models, power our digital care platforms, incorporate novel technologies into care, augment clinical decision-making, set new standards in patient experience, advance the field of musculoskeletal health, and ultimately drive industry transformation. In short, CAMP focuses on ‘solving the unsolvable’, developing new technology and operating models to tackle the most complex problems, provide greater operational agility, and deliver a highly personalized patient and consumer experience. To accomplish these goals, HSS and CAMP will leverage its uniquely large musculoskeletal data set, spanning decades of care delivery and including diagnostic imaging, clinical notes, surgical planning guides, and postoperative outcomes.
This position will play a critical role in utilizing applied statistics and data analytics to improve the wellbeing of HSS patients and be on the cutting edge of the advancement of analytics in performance measurement and care delivery. You will work alongside a group of highly motivated scientists, analysts, clinicians, and operational staff giving you a unique opportunity within an innovative hospital to understand how our operations work and applied research is directly used in clinical care. This position serves a critical role in support of a key strategic priority for HSS.
- Work to manage and support analytics projects focused on the application of statistical methods (such as multivariable regression analyses, propensity score matching), perform power calculations, and engage in principles of experimental design, with emphasis on understanding when and how different methodologies can and cannot be applied.
- Leverage computer programming and large datasets toward those ends, focused on developing domain expertise in medicine and musculoskeletal health.
- Act as a domain expert in the development of new performance and care metrics, including supporting the development and clear reporting of those used in relevant operational dashboards.
- Provide methodological, statistical, design, and analytical guidance for operations and applied research projects; help assess and measure hospital and provider performance.
- Be a subject matter expert and perform analyses on large electronic health record and administrative databases to evaluate patterns of utilization and operations that will inform HSS’s care delivery and processes.
- Work to manage and support analytics projects focused on the use of data science methods (such as predictive modeling, including building models based on artificial intelligence and machine learning to help, for example, predict outcomes associated with treatment of musculoskeletal disease), casual inference methods (such as econometrics including regression discontinuity or instrumental variables), and other applied methods.