Position: Facilities Manager
Under the general supervision of the Director of Engineering, the Facilities Manager leads and manages resources in support of facility infrastructure in a safe, functional, and efficient manner in conjunction with the standards and procedures of the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).
The Facilities Manager has responsibility for more than one facility and manages all the related maintenance staff. The Facilities Manager has overall responsibility for ensuring the day-to-day operational efficiency and maintenance of all building systems (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fire/life safety system for all facilities. The Facilities Manager will ensure that the facilities overall condition and appearance is maintained at the highest levels. The Facilities Manager will supervise and lead a team of engineering aids and other skilled trades and coordinate their efforts in the operational support of the facilities.
- Provides hands-on field knowledge and experience to the daily operations and facilities' team supervision.
- Oversee the completion of planned, as needed engineering and preventive maintenance work assignments for all facilities. Must have the ability to effectively delegate assignments to staff or vendors focusing on engineering, mechanical, and maintenance trades.
- Organizes, monitors, and assesses the performance of maintenance staff in conducting and completing preventive maintenance inspections/repairs.
- Ensures that all inspections and testing is performed to comply with NFPA, DOH, CMS, FDNY, DOB as assigned by the Director of Engineering for all HSS properties.
- Reviews and analyzes the periodic inspections of building systems, i.e., HVAC, electrical distribution, structural, vertical transportation, roofs, parapets, gutters and leaders, parking area, drainage, ramps, and approaches, irrigation and Fire/Life Safety in order to determine more effective and cost-saving methods of preventative maintenance, repairs, and corrective actions.
- Ensures that the staff effectively maintains mechanical equipment rooms, and shop areas to ensure clean and safe conditions at all facilities.
- Serves as one of the response managers, taking the lead of all engineering related rapid response, investigation, and management of emergency facilities related situations.
- Trains subordinates on the proper procedures for securing and containing the area, assessing cause and extent of damage, taking appropriate actions, and developing action plans/next steps for remediation.
- Conducts post-emergency evaluations, and creates a detailed assessment report, implements appropriate changes, as needed, and follows up with clinical staff, stakeholders/owner groups, affected business units, and property and facilities management staff.
- Ensures that staff work closely with all Departments in handling requests for service calls, effectively evaluating requests and dispatching appropriate resources and contractors, utilization of appropriate call centers, and that staff are trained and have complete working knowledge on creating, closing and tracking work order requests through the departments computerized work order system.
- Requires staff to monitor the performance and note deficiencies of service contractors and recommend changes as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with all building regulations and permits for all facilities. Ensure corrective action is taken quickly and efficiently for all violations requiring repairs to building systems. In coordination with the Legal and Safety Department, ensure documentation of corrective actions area filed with appropriate agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, or related field preferred; or Associate's degree, or equivalent of 2 years of academic program with certification of completion as technician from accredited technical school.
- Minimum of 5 years of management level experience in facilities/property maintenance, engineering and / or Critical Systems, installation and operation of Building Systems (HVAC, plumbing, Fire/Life Safety, etc.) and supervision of skilled trades and technical staff.
- Experience in a healthcare facility preferred.
- Must possess valid Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of all aspects of building systems operations, contractual maintenance, construction and related services, and Local Laws pertaining to building operations, codes, and safety.
- A high level of functional/technical knowledge of building system operation is necessary and must have proficiency in plumbing, HVAC, and electrical distribution systems.
- A high level of functional/technical knowledge of carpentry, painting, wallpaper, and furniture repair.
- Must be able to prepare and present detailed reports on building operations and systems, as well as to write professional business correspondences. Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, executives and the general public.
- Ability to quickly define problems, gather and assess relevant data and information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in order to implement solutions and repairs and delegate to appropriate personnel. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions and drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead employees, experience with HR processes as they relate to direct reports (e.g., performance management, development, coaching, feedback, etc.), and ability to effectively delegate.
- Strong literacy in Microsoft applications package, as well as, work order systems and other relevant databases for maintenance management.
- Highly organized and skilled with time management.
- Strong customer service skills to provide the highest level of patient satisfaction.
- Manage inventory including, construction material, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting supplies, repair parts, and hand and power tools with in budgetary parameters.
- Facilities Maintenance: 4 years (Required)