The purpose of Charge Entry/Data Entry is to key charges and to confirm codes are used in accordance with industry standards. This position is primarily responsible to collect, input, and audit departmental charges and ensure timely and accurate patient billing for products and services.
- Performs daily data entry of practice charges timely and accurately.
- Verifies the patient demographic information and determines the appropriate insurance carrier to bill based on the information received.
- Corrects registration errors and complete registration process when necessary.
- Tracks registration errors and report errors found.
- Enters charges for all visits, reviewing the visit documentation and the encounter to ensure all charges are captured.
- Enters all required modifiers based on CMS coding guidelines.
- Reviews patient daily batch report for appropriate information (CPT Codes, ICD-10 Codes, referring physician, etc.). Correct information as necessary.
- Corrects hold bill edits and charge edits to ensure accurate and complete patient account information.
- Prints the missing charge reports daily to ensure all charges have been entered.
- Follows up on and locates documentation and charges not checked off as being completed.
- Conducts investigation of questioned charges. Make corrections or charge-backs as needed.
- Balances Charge Summary to tickets keyed before updating charges.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Reports to the Revenue Cycle (Billing) Supervisor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, CERTIFICATION / LICENSURE:
- Knowledge of CPT, HCPCS codes, and Modifiers.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of insurance terminology, capitation, and fee for service billing.
- Knowledge of various insurance company requirements for filing insurance claims.
QUALIFICATIONS; REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent, with some college preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of three years experience in medical billing procedures including registration, charge entry, payment posting, and claim preparation.
This office is located in Ronkonkoma, Long Island.