Clinical Nurse – OSCU
Department of Nursing
As an integral member of our Magnet Nursing team, the successful RN candidate will be focused on – patient advocacy and delivering the highest quality of care to our patients! Working in an evidence-based practice environment that commands excellence every day you will provide comprehensive nursing care to our most complex Orthopedic surgery patients in the new state of the art Orthopedic Special Care Unit. Our core values center on respect, consideration, compassion for all individuals and maintaining awareness of diverse cultural and religious beliefs. Your capacity to collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and promote the highest standards of care and safety is critical to the mission of Nursing in HSS.
This is a full time position in The Hospital for Special Surgery’s Orthopedic Special Care Unit, a 4 bed unit, which is a New York State approved Intensive Care Unit. On this unit, patients are provided a higher level of nursing support and houses more complex equipment, which include monitors that frequently check vital functions, multiple pumps that deliver medications, and ventilators that help patients breathe. To thrive in this area, the final candidate will be one who functions well in a dynamic, high-pressure environment and can work successfully as member of a cohesive team.
- Work collaboratively with multidisciplinary health care teams to maintain the standards of professional nursing practices in a clinical setting
- Collect comprehensive data on patients’ health (from patients and/or family members); Analyze data to determine needs & develop individualized care plans; update care plans based on progression and pathway as well as manage care delivery
- Ensure that all prescriber orders are carried out appropriately and timely; work collaboratively with ancillary staff, including Patient Care Assistants
- Integrate patient care standards in all clinical activities; participate in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety, quality of care and patient outcomes
- Maintain sensitivity and awareness of cultural and religious diversity when addressing patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers
- Promote a supportive and team-oriented environment
- Support departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range strategic plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital
- BSN from an accredited school of nursing required
- 1+ years’ of critical care nursing experience in a surgical ICU or similar setting
- NYS RN license and registration required
- BLS, ACLS, PALS certification required; critical care certification preferred
- HCAHPS/EPIC knowledge preferred
- Your scope of duties will include critical care clinical competence, incorporating physical and emotional assessments, age specific competency, critical thinking skills, and educating patients and their family members regarding their plan of care and clinical pathway.
- Strong patient centered approach with emphasis on providing exemplary and world-class customer service
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated and proactive; a team player who knows how to think critically in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Active participant in seeking solutions to problems
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities. HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, resear