Surgical Coordinator - Dr. Osei & Dr. Weiland
In this role you will provide comprehensive administrative support to an HSS physician practice, contributing to an environment of clinical excellence. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving the clinical and administrative workflow of a busy surgical orthopedic practice. Your duties will entail coordinating all aspects of surgical coordination; anticipating the needs of patients as they arise. Additionally, you will schedule and coordinate patient appointments. You will also perform a variety of clerical functions including inventory control.
Your role is essential to promoting a professional atmosphere through courteous communication, cooperation and respect for patients, visitors and members of the healthcare team. In addition, you will be responsible for upholding stellar customer service practices for patients and families, as well as acting as a liaison to the physician and hospital departments.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Triage phone calls and patient inquiries, in a professional and efficient manner
- Retrieve messages frequently from voicemail, answering service, and EMR to return messages by the end of business day
- Schedule appointments (new visits, follow-ups and post-ops)
- Confirm patient appointments via email and/or telephone
- Schedule surgeries and other ancillary tests as directed by physician or office manager
- When surgical date is identified, it should be appropriately placed in calendar and scheduled in EPIC in a timely manner
- All surgeries should be authorized 1 month prior to surgery excluding urgent add-on cases which need to be authorized accordingly
- Track PSS Scheduling appointments in Epic according to surgical calendar
- Ensure all required documentation and pre-testing is completed, obtained and reviewed by clinical office staff prior to surgery (medical clearances, EKGs, cardiology work-up, pulmonary tests, etc)
- All documentation involved in chart preparation for surgical cases must have double identifiers (ex. patient’s name and date of birth)
- All MD signatures on documentation must be original – no stamps
- Manage referrals and insurance authorizations for diagnostic procedures
- Obtain authorization within 2 business days of patient’s visit unless identified as urgent by physician
- Perform financial transactions and related functions when appropriate and directed by physician or office manager
- Collaborate with PPM Revenue Cycle Team to up uphold policy and procedure related to front end office business transactions
- Check patients out after visit with MD
- Collect all money due at time of visit
- All encounter forms must be signed and completed by MD
- Batch reconciliation should be completed by end of business day
- Money and batches must be brought to cashier within 48 hours of date of service
- For non-Epic offices, copies of batches and completed patient encounter forms for in-office date-of-service should be prepared and sent to billing company within 48 hours
- All surgical billing should follow same protocol as in-office date-of-service batch
- Create, scan and file patient charts
- File medical documentation and patient charts where applicable
- Prepare patient charts in anticipation of office hours where applicable.
- Scan medical records into individual patient accounts within EMR system
- All patient charts and documents must have double identifiers (ex. Name and date of birth)
- Any documents being scanned or filed into patient chart must be checked for double identifier and placed in appropriately identified section
- No ‘results’ document is to be scanned or filed into patient chart until MD has reviewed and signed.
- Facilitate communication between physician and hospital departments, department management and patients
- Attend office staff meetings
- Work independently on assigned tasks with minimal supervision
- Promote cooperation through teamwork
- Complete all in-service learning requirements including but not limited to the annual in-service learning.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform other duties as assigned.