The IT Trainer for Physician Support is responsible for achieving advanced knowledge of assigned Epic system software and corresponding end user workflows to support physicians before, during, and after go-live. In this role, the IT Trainer will facilitate classroom training sessions on EpicCare Ambulatory and Inpatient prescriber workflows and Dragon Medical 360, and will assist physicians with Epic personalization to streamline their use of the system. Outside of class, this role will respond to and resolve phone calls and problem tickets submitted by physicians who are seeking support with using Epic and Dragon software applications. In addition, the IT Trainer also provides dedicated at-the-elbow support to new physicians during an Epic go-live to ensure a smooth transition to the application and to reinforce best practices for system use. He/she conducts regular day-to-day communication with IT staff members and application end users, schedules and enrolls learners in training classes, responds to end user software questions, provides at-the-elbow and remote (phone, web, and e-mail) training support, and occasionally develops basic training documentation under the supervision of the application’s Instructional Designer. The IT Trainer reviews and edits training materials ahead of classes to ensure they are aware of and up-to-date on system workflow changes, and partners with IT Analysts and Instructional Designers to gain mastery of the revised content. He/she manages his or her own time to accomplish tasks with minimal oversight.
This is an exciting and dynamic role that supports HSS’s growth and strategic plan by enabling our physicians to leverage the power and efficiency of our integrated electronic medical record platform. This role reports to the IT Training Manager within IT’s Client Services division.
The IT Trainer is responsible for becoming credentialed by an Instructional Designer in one or more Epic applications within 90 days of hire.
In addition, they will also:
- Create how-to documentation (e.g. Tip Sheets) for the assigned applications, and ensure workflows are accurately represented and validated by Instructional Designers.
- Facilitate end user (classroom) training sessions for the assigned applications.
- Demonstrate at least a basic level of understanding of the assigned applications’ design.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of system workflows.
- Provide end user support via telephone, e-mail, screen sharing, and at-the-elbow assistance.
- Provide dedicated support to new physicians going live on the Epic system.
- Create end user buy-in for the assigned applications by facilitating a positive training and support experience.
- Always be “on-stage”, and demonstrate a client first mentality by providing warm interactions, consistent follow-up, and ownership of issues presented to them.
- Identify new ideas that add value to the services rendered by the IT Training Team.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization’s Core Values and incorporate them into the performance of duties.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization’s Service Standards and incorporate them into the performance of duties.
- Follow all quality assurance processes, including change management and testing efforts.
- Create reports and extracts from the Learning Management System, as necessary.
- Enters issues with training environments, classroom technology, and documentation into designated trackers.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality with regard to protected health information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, healthcare, or a related field, or four (4) years of relevant experience within a healthcare setting, including experience in planning and developing learning objectives and course materials for a physician audience.
- Demonstrated success in a customer service/client experience role.
- Candidates must have proven problem solving, analytical, administrative, written and verbal communication, presentation, customer service and interpersonal relationship skills, and will be expected to balance multiple initiatives.
- Intermediate level familiarity in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word).
- Professional experience in a healthcare setting
- At least one year of direct experience training Epic applications in a classroom setting
- Proficiency with Learning Management System administrative functions and build
- Certification in either EpicCare Ambulatory or EpicCare Inpatient Procedural Orders applications or credentialing in at least one Epic application by another Epic hospital
- Experience with Adobe Captivate version 5.5 or higher is preferred
- Experience with Dragon Medical 360 dictation software is preferred