Operational Excellence Analyst
Operational Excellence (OE) at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is charged with optimizing the care delivery system, transforming operations to improve performance, and increasing value for our patients. The OE department is highly visible, reporting directly to the CEO and COO, and all members work with multidisciplinary teams comprised of clinical and business leaders.
The Operational Excellence Analyst fills an essential role for the overall success of OE programs at HSS. The successful candidate will build, monitor, and maintain data from several sources including quality, process, mobile messaging, outcome, financial, and survey data. In addition, the role will use develop performance metrics, complete current state assessments, perform root cause analyses, reveal data insights through visualizations, and recommend changes to improve performance.
The ideal candidate can support several concurrent projects including evaluating department operations, modeling systems, and helping to scale analytics across the enterprise.
- Data collection, quantitative and qualitative analysis, process mapping, root cause analysis, and solution design
- Use statistical programming to build, aggregate, structure, clean, validate, analyze, automate, and maintain data
- Work with interdisciplinary stakeholders to validate data, identify data gaps, and contribute to changes in business processes and data pipelines to fix data gaps
- Design and execute structured analyses, identify critical insights, model impact on business operations, recommend changes, and measure progress toward strategic improvement plans
- Build accurate/valid data models using advanced analytics and simulation
- Drive analytics projects from end to end including developing hypotheses, gathering requirements, learning processes, executing changes, and monitoring post go-live
- Develop data visualizations based on user needs and provide graphic design for data displays on dashboards and websites
- Support leadership decision making in a variety of subject matter areas including: process measures, performance metrics, scheduling, resource utilization, labor and productivity, quality measures, and patient satisfaction measures
- Design presentation ready materials and communicate insights to stakeholders
- Use electronic medical record (EMR) and other state/national data to assess and optimize clinical pathways
- Design predictive analytics to inform staffing and resource needs
- Create a queueing model to design a decentralized registration process
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree in engineering, mathematics, or computer science with specialization in information visualization/computer graphics
Desired Skills & Experience
- Background or experience in quantitative methods from sciences, math, engineering, or other fields
- Working experience with statistical analyses including multivariate regression, ANOVA, cluster analysis, decision tree analysis, factor analysis, time series analysis, etc.
- Ability to transform, QA, and analyze large datasets (more than 50K rows)
- Familiarity with SQL, Business Objects and Epic or another EMR
- Experience with discrete event simulation, operations modeling, and simulation software (e.g., Simul8, ARENA)
- At least 1 year working experience with statistical programming (e.g., R, SAS)
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel including familiarity with VBA
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to tell a story with data
- Ability to influence people, build relationships and collaborate
- Ability to synthesize information to see the big picture while effectively managing smaller details
- Motivation to develop analytic skillset to include advanced machine learning techniques
Qualified candidates who desire to be part of a world-class team protecting and building upon our legacy of excellence are encouraged to apply now!
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities.
HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.