Department of Medicine
Hospital for Special Surgery is seeking an experienced physician office manager to oversee staff and operations of physician practices within the Department of Medicine. The successful candidate will work alongside department leadership to develop and implement policies and procedures in support of the physician offices and the hospital’s strategic plan.
- Supervise 10-15 physician office staff members; collaborate with department leadership to make all decisions related to staffing (coverage, hiring, disciplinary actions, etc.)
- Monitor physician office staff performance; conduct annual & probationary reviews in collaboration with physicians when appropriate
- Responsible for coordinating workflows to reach optimal workloads for staff while minimizing the use of overtime; ensure all day-to-day business tasks are completed and monitor where additional assistance is needed; delegate assignments accordingly
- Perform daily rounding on all assigned practices.
- Leads bi-weekly huddles with all staff in their area; conducts individual staff meetings or small group staff meetings as needed
- Collaborate with department director and senior director to conduct monthly staff meetings
- Collaborate with department director and senior director on Epic office reporting and follow-up with office staff for reeducation or proper workflow and accountability
- Work closely with department director and senior director to implement department changes;
- Provides ongoing assessments of department workflows to optimize quality and efficiency of work.
- Collaborates with nursing and registration leadership to optimize patient flow
- Monitor work queues in EMR to ensure all activities are complete; uses data from queues to evaluate staff and provide department leadership with information about individual and department-wide performance
- Monitor staff productivity reports in EMR to ensure workload is evenly distributed; provide staff feedback based on these reports
- Constantly monitor and redistribute call flows using Avaya phone system to account for fluctuations in call volume, staff vacation and sick time, and changes in workflow
- Monitor staff productivity in Avaya phone system to ensure staff are handling calls in real-time; provide staff feedback based on these reports
- Work directly with physicians to understand practice needs; provide real-time support to physicians and staff to deal with operational and logistical challenges
- Provide training to all new employees and to existing staff when appropriate
- Coordinate office staff schedules and ensure adequate coverage due to staff vacation/sick time and daily lunch hours; collaborates with other supervisors to provide cross-coverage support
- Manage and approve staff work hours for bi-weekly payroll
- Collaborate with members of the Revenue Cycle team to ensure timely and accurate collection of all professional revenue
- Maintain inventory of supplies and perform inventory control
- Provide back-up coverage for office staff when necessary due to unplanned absences; provide back-up coverage to other supervisors due to vacation and unplanned absences
- Ensure staff adheres to standards of professionalism and delivers the highest level of service excellence
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree required; experience may be considered in lieu of education requirement
- 5+ years’ progressive experience in a physician office environment, including: at least one year prior experience supervising staff, delegating work, providing constructive feedback and/or scheduling personnel; advanced healthcare degree may be considered in lieu of experience requirements (e.g. MPH, MHA, MBA, etc.)
- Superior oral, written and non-verbal communication skills; ability to forge and maintain strong professional relationships
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office, including: Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Visio and PowerPoint
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, often under a deadline and in a fast paced environment
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and pragmatic; a team player who is analytical and solution-focused
- Ability to prioritize issues, resolve conflicts and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Must possess ability to learn new software tools & systems as required on the job
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities. HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.
Founded in 1863, Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is a world leader in orthopedics, rheumatology and rehabilitation. In the most recent U.S. News & World Report “American’s Best Hospitals” issue, HSS ranks #1 in orthopedics and #3 in rheumatology. In addition, the American Nurses Credentialing Center has honored HSS with three consecutive designations of Magnet® recognition. HSS has one of the lowest infection rates in the country.