Hospital for Special Surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care & Pain Management
Job Description – Director, Research
Reports to: Senior Director, Anesthesiology, Critical Care & Pain Management
- Coordinates the synchronization and management of research activities in the Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care & Pain Management under the direction of the Medical Director, Research. Identifies, analyzes, and solves research division problems and reports deviations where appropriate. Undertakes improvement processes as necessary.
- Provides administrative leadership for the Department’s research division. Establishes and develops a divisional structure that fosters employee respect, productivity, initiative and accountability. Works with Medical Director, Research to define goals, articulate priorities, and set standards. Develops and employs methods to continuously assess and improve division performance. Provides feedback to Medical Director, senior leadership and Research Committee as to the disposition of projects.
- Effectively mentors and supervises research division employees as per Hospital and Department policy. Contributes to recruitment and hiring process, oversees orientation, in-service training, and continuing education for all persons in the division. Directs work of employees, including delegation of responsibilities, establishing deadlines, scheduling and assigning employees. Develops performance standards, effectively evaluates employees' performance, and initiates or makes recommendations for personnel action, if necessary. Aligns staff with the Department and the Hospital ventures (generally and also to specific initiatives such as Research Department training programs, Gallup, Press Ganey, etc.).
- Advises department investigators on the research process including procedures, forms, budgets, regulatory requirements. Provides guidance on how best to optimize departmental and institutional resources. Screens all protocol submissions and facilitates Clinical Review Panel (CRP) evaluation.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the division. Handles I.T. requests, monitors and approves the ordering of supplies and equipment, reviews timekeeping system entries, etc. Provides fiscal oversight of division and study budgets. Maintains study lifecycle tracking database and generates reports and metrics as needed.
- Ensures that all research related regulatory, institutional and departmental compliance requirements are met as appropriate. Conducts internal audits of protocols. Promotes quality assurance (integrity of data) of projects. Facilitates completion of Conflict of Interest forms, contracts, IRB notifications, etc. as required. Keeps departmental clinicaltrials.gov entries up to date.
- Collaborates diplomatically with other Departments to ensure successful development, implementation and execution of research protocols. Builds strong, cooperative relationships at all levels of the organization and leverages those partnerships to solve intra-departmental problems and overcome impediments.
- Communicates with sponsors, external contractors, funding sources, as appropriate/necessary. Facilitates and negotiates clinical trial agreements and study budgets. Prepares progress reports for funding agencies and sponsors. Investigates opportunities for grants, external funding, industry-sponsored studies, etc. and assists with grant applications.
- Participates in all aspects of department research. Performs informed consent, data collection and data entry for studies as appropriate. Prepares IRB submissions and amendments. Participates in and enables the development of new protocols and initiatives taken on by the division.
- Functions as a division, Department and Hospital role model in displaying outstanding work ethic and professionalism through actions and communications. Fosters a commitment to professional development of all staff.
- Displays a positive attitude toward work assignments, performance feedback, and interactions with co-workers, patients, families, and visitors.
- Willingly adheres to Department and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Maintains computer literacy, including proficiency in Outlook email and E-learning.
- Attends Department meetings regularly and punctually.
- Bachelors degree required, BSN a plus
- Masters degree preferred
- Prior management experience and 5+ years experience in clinical research required.
- Anesthesia or healthcare specific preferred.
- Current clinical research certification (CCRC, CCRP, etc.) and commitment to maintain certification throughout employment
- Experience with regulatory submissions (IDE, IND) preferred
- Proficient use of computers and software
- Knowledge of orthopedic or rheumatologic terminology preferred