Working in a dynamic and very busy Central Sterile Processing department the CSP shift manager partners with the AVP, of Central Sterile Processing managing the departments operations and staff members while performing sterile processing functions including decontamination, instrument assembly, sterilization, aseptic handling and distribution of products to various departments throughout the medical center. The shift manager is responsible for employee time keeping (Kronos) system and scheduling and assigning work for CSP staff. In addition the shift manager is responsible for monitoring and follow up on employee performance as part of the departmental KPI program. Shift managers are expected to be proficient in operating various automated systems used with the operations of the CSP department such as the instrument tracking system, the HR performance management system and the payroll management system.
The Shift Manager in CSP reports to the Sr. Director of Central Sterile Processing.
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- At least three to five years of supervisory experience working in a hospital Central Sterile Processing environment.
- Certification in Central Service Technical training (CRCST) and CS leadership training (CHL) required.
- In depth knowledge of technical concepts pertaining to Sterile Processing operations.
- Ability to management multiple priorities and projects at once and work independently.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency with MS office suite and basic computer skills required.
- Ability to quickly establish a trusting working relationship with the Sr. Director and CSP & OR Materials Management and Perioperative Management leadership teams.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with vendors and customers in the perioperative and nursing areas.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to cultivate a visible presence and the savvy to interact with senior leadership and staff across the division. A genuine enthusiasm for working with healthcare professionals.
- Strong clinical/technical knowledge of CSP production, operations and processing equipment.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a “hands-on” manner, adjusting to issues as needed in a dynamic work environment. The ability to prioritize and effectively anticipate and respond to issues as they arise.
- The ability to recognize and take responsibility for your own mistakes and work diligently to rectify them.
- Strong human resource management skills and knowledge of labor standards and laws.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills necessary to conduct shift and staff meetings.
- The ability to model the basic values and principles of the Central Sterile Processing department