IT Instructional Designer II
The IT Instructional Designer II role facilitates training for Hospital for Special Surgery’s employees for the assigned applications within the Epic electronic medical record system and other hospital systems. In addition to providing instructor-led classroom training the Instructional Designer develops various curricula, both traditional and e-learning, taking a blended approach to address new hire, optimization and efficiency training needs. The IT Instructional Designer II also serves as a performance consultant for stakeholders, identifying deviation from best practices and developing training solutions for remediation to enable the achievement of individual, departmental, and organizational goals. The Instructional Designer II contributes to assigned IT projects, representing the training team, and providing bi-directional communications between the Training Team and the Application Teams, as well as with HSS operations and their Epic Expert groups.
The Instructional Designer II mentors IT Trainers and Instructional Designer I’s on training delivery techniques, Epic and corporate systems application knowledge, and instructional design principles. The position may require some travel within the HSS campus, including offsite, regional centers.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in education, healthcare, or a related field, or four (4) years of relevant experience in adult education or instructional design within a healthcare setting, including experience in planning and developing learning objectives and course materials for clinical staff. Must complete Training Environment and Documentation (TED) course for each assigned application within the first (1) year of hire.
- 2+ years Clinical teaching or at least two years of direct experience training Epic’s clinical and/or revenue cycle systems in a classroom setting, considerable training curriculum design experience including e-learning development with Adobe Captivate (or similar tools), strong analytical skills, intermediate project management skills (ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues list, manage project plan), participation in at least one full implementation lifecycle and significant experience building and maintaining the Epic MST Master Training Environment.
- Requires certification at least two of the assigned Epic applications. The first must be achieved within ninety (90) days and each additional assigned application within the first (1) year of hire. Must maintain Epic certification(s) on an annual basis
- Must maintain certification in assigned Epic application(s) on an annual basis.
- Candidates must have proven problem solving, analytical, administrative, written and verbal communication, presentation, customer service and leadership skills, and will be expected to balance multiple initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word).
- Proficiency with Learning Management System administrative functions and build experience is preferred.Experience with Adobe Captivate version 9 or higher is preferred.
- Experience with Dragon Medical 360 dictation software is preferred.