The IT Instructional Designer role provides training for Hospital for Special Surgery’s employees on the EpicCare Inpatient Clinical Documentation application within the Epic electronic medical record system, as well as other assigned hospital systems. The IT Instructional Designer leads instructor-led (classroom) training sessions, and develops curricula for classroom and web-based (e-learning) courses. This role takes a blended approach to address new hire, optimization, and efficiency training needs. Specifically, this role will work with the following user groups:
- Complex Care Navigator
- Dragon Medical 360 Dictation Users
- Infusion Nursing
- Inpatient Nursing
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Therapy
- Prosthetics & Orthotics
- Respiratory Therapy
This is an exciting and dynamic role that supports HSS’ growth and strategic plan by enabling clinicians to leverage the power and efficiency of our integrated electronic medical record platform. This role reports to the Assistant Director of IT Training and Talent Management within the IT Client Services division.
- Assists the Assistant Director in the design and implementation of a training strategy and training plan for the assigned applications/systems.
- Partners with the business and IT stakeholders, and informatics, on course material development to ensure policies, procedures, and system functionality are accurately reflected.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to identify and document functional requirements, workflows and policies to form the composite of training curriculum and content by role.
- Develops e-learning courses modules using e-learning authoring software (Adobe Captivate).
- Develops classroom curricula (e.g., PowerPoint Presentations, Exercise Booklets, Quick Reference Guides/Tip Sheets, etc.) applying instructional design methodologies.
- Builds and maintains Learning Home Dashboards.
- Assigns training materials to be completed by staff for new hire, efficiency and optimization training.
- Provides classroom training to end users of assigned application(s).
- Assists end users with the personalization of Epic’s system.
- Schedules course offerings with new employee orientation and other major events, including new go-lives and version upgrades.
- Assesses the efficacy of training programs by administering end user proficiency assessments, and surveying learners with 30 and 60 day post-training evaluations.
- Builds, tests and maintains the master training environment (MST) for the assigned Epic application(s).
- Reviews and tests system changes, enhancements, and each new release as assigned to ensure training materials and the MST environment remain updated.
- Maintains training documentation by versioning, organizing, and publishing materials across several platforms which include the Learning Management System (LMS), education intranet site, Learning Homes, and SharePoint.
- Leads the Epic Experts (Super Users) program for their assigned application(s) by communicating system changes, workflow enhancements, and new training documentation in monthly Expert group meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in education, healthcare, or a related field, or four (4) years of relevant experience in adult education or instructional design within a healthcare setting, including experience in planning and developing learning objectives and course materials for clinical staff.
- Candidates must have at least one year of direct experience training Epic’s clinical systems in a classroom setting.
- Must be certified in one of the Epic applications, either EpicCare Inpatient Clinical Documentation or Procedure Orders, to be considered for this role; or must be credentialed in either Epic application by HSS or another healthcare system for version 2015 or later for consideration.
- Requires certification in any additional assigned Epic applications within the first (1) year of hire.
- Must maintain certification in assigned Epic application(s) on an annual basis.
- Must complete Training Environment and Documentation (TED) course for each assigned application within the two months prior to MST rebuild.
- Candidates must have proven problem solving, analytical, administrative, written and verbal communication, presentation, customer service and leadership skills, and will be expected to balance multiple initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word).
- Proficiency with Learning Management System administrative functions and build experience is preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Captivate version 9 or higher is preferred.
- Experience with Dragon Medical 360 dictation software is preferred.
- Candidates with a clinical background/licensure are preferred