Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is the world’s leading academic medical center focused on musculoskeletal health. HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 in orthopedics and No. 3 in rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report (2017-2018). HSS is an affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College and as such all Hospital for Special Surgery medical staff are faculty of Weill Cornell. The hospital's research division is internationally recognized as a leader in the investigation of musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases. www.hss.edu
HSS’s Center for the Advancement of Value in Musculoskeletal Care serves to infuse proven quality of care and value initiatives deeper into the organization. The center was developed two years ago and has helped the organization formulate the population management strategy and value proposition of HSS. This position will play a critical role in utilizing data analytics to improve the wellbeing of HSS patients and be on the cutting edge of the advancement of analytics in care delivery. This role will be exposed to both research and care delivery in health care. You will work alongside a group of highly motivated scientists, analysts, clinicians, and operational staff giving you a unique opportunity within an innovative hospital to understand how our research is directly applied to clinical care. This position serves a critical role in support of a key strategic priority for HSS. https://www.hss.edu/value-in-musculoskeletal-care-center.asp
- Act as a leader for data analytic development and advancement under the supervision of the Senior Director of Data Science, while working closely with Value Center leadership, including HSS’s Chief Medical Value Officer
- Develop new value performance metrics and develop dashboards to trend progress.
- Be a subject matter expert and perform analyses on large administrative databases including those of SPARCS, Medicare, and commercial payers to evaluate patterns of quality, utilization, and value that will inform the HSS approach to value management.
- Define value improvement strategies and methods to evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies; perform analyses to assess effectiveness.
- Develop visualization of key performance metrics and make recommendations to Value Center leadership for software or workflow changes, purchases to enhance quality of data reported out of the Value Center and streamline workflows.
- Act as mentor to other analysts staff from other HSS departments such as Quality, Finance and Operations.
- Bachelor's degree required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Minimum 2 years working in an analytical role (e.g. consulting, research, marketing, data science).
- Strong proficiency in statistical software and programming (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Stata).
- Prior experience translating data for lay audiences, including the production of presentations for senior-level audiences; demonstrated ability to think strategically about data end-use.
- Excellent organization skills (ability to manage several concurrent tasks).
- At least 2 years work experience in a clinical setting.
- Expertise working with large administrative datasets (e.g., SPARCS, HCUP, Medicare’s Standard Analytic File, commercial administrative datasets).
- Knowledge and experience in quality measures and measurement.
- Experience in hospital value evaluation or interpreting technical medical data is ideal, particularly past experience qualifying value in orthopedics.
- Understanding of extract transform and loading (ETL) data cleaning, data normalization, mapping, and validation.