Social Work Manager, VOICES 60+ Senior Advocacy Program
The Social Work Manager, VOICES 60+ Senior Advocacy, will be responsible for the operational oversight, planning and provision of program initiatives related to assisting culturally diverse older, frail, and chronically ill patients seen in HSS's Rheumatology Ambulatory Care Center and Rheumatology Division, in addition to providing direct social work services. The Manager will also be responsible for the development and implementation of community activities for the Hospital’s Community Service Plan, collaborating with community partners who serve diverse community-dwelling older adults.
The position reports to the Department's Senior Social Work Manager, Rheumatology.
Major job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Identify, assess, and intervene with ambulatory care patients, 60 and older, seen in our Rheumatology Division, regarding their frequently complex psychosocial needs, such as isolation, homelessness, mental health needs, adult protection, home safety and insurance issues, in collaboration with the health care team.
- Provide supportive counseling and psycho-educational interventions in collaboration with health team with patients and family members to help ensure an understanding of patient’s overall medical situation and treatment plan; identify obstacles to adherence and help to address these as appropriate.
- Establish strong working relationships with interdisciplinary colleagues in the Rheumatology Division and Social Work Programs utilizing a team-centered approach.
- Participate actively in departmental and interdepartmental initiatives and projects, e.g. those involving staff development and improvement of systems affecting patient care.
- Identify key community stakeholders to further Community Service Plan initiatives and design and provide community based programs to meet shared goals.
- Supervise staff on Community Service Plan initiatives and program volunteers.
- Maintain complete, timely and accurate documentation of patient assessments and interventions in the electronic medical record and generate appropriate related reports.
- Develop and implement program evaluations and research initiatives as relevant for both outpatient clinical work, and Community Service Plan.
- Participate in additional duties as needed.
- Master’s degree in Social Work with LCSW licensure
- Prior experience in demonstrating excellent leadership, program planning, and clinical skills in working with the older adult population
- Passion for providing outstanding patient care
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, outcome-driven environment
- Knowledge of health care and social service system entitlements for older adults
- Ability to manage projects independently; experience in training and/or supervision of staff and/or volunteers
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate effective relationships in the community and an interdisciplinary environment
- Exceptional critical thinker with systems-oriented, innovative approach to problem solving in support of the Hospital’s and Department’s mission
- Aspires to contribute to self, colleague and organizational learning
- Superior written and oral communication skills, and ability to be highly organized
- Computer literacy
- Specific experience in the area of chronic illness preferred. Major teaching hospital experience is desirable.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.