Clinical Nurse – Department of Medicine
Department of Nursing
As an integral member of our Magnet Nursing team, the successful RN candidate will be focused on – patient advocacy and delivering the highest quality of care to our patients! Working in an evidence-based nursing environment that commands excellence every day, you will provide comprehensive outpatient nursing care to our patients and their families in this ambulatory care setting. Our core values center on respect, consideration, compassion for all individuals and maintaining awareness of diverse cultural and religious beliefs. Your capacity to collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and promote the highest standards of care and safety is critical to the mission of Nursing in HSS.
- Work collaboratively with multidisciplinary health care teams to maintain the standards of professional nursing practices in a clinical setting
- Systematically collect comprehensive data on patients’ health (from patients and/or family members), using appropriate assessment techniques.
- Analyze assessment data to determine diagnosis.
- Clinical job duties include but are not limited to, providing medication injections, rooming patients for providers, patient/family education, conducting pre-calls prior to new patient visits, pending orders for physicians, following up on lab results, responding to patient messages by phone and electronically in EPIC.
- Educates the patient and family to facilitate and promote healthy adjustment to new or changed health patterns.
- Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care activities.
- Ensure that all physician orders are carried out appropriately and timely; work collaboratively with ancillary staff, including Patient Care Assistants
- Integrate patient care standards in all clinical activities; participate in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety, quality of care and patient outcomes
- Maintain sensitivity and awareness of cultural and religious diversity when addressing patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers
- Promote a supportive and team-oriented environment
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge and competence to fulfill responsibilities
- Engages in self-assessment and participates in activities to promote own professional growth and development
- Support departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range strategic plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital
- BSN from an accredited school of nursing required
- 2+ years’ experience in an outpatient medicine or inpatient setting
- NYS RN license and registration required
- BLS certification required
- EPIC knowledge preferred
- Your scope of duties will include internal medicine, rheumatology, endocrinology, peri-op medicine competence, incorporating physical and emotional assessments, age specific competency, critical thinking skills, and educating patients and their family members regarding their plan of care and clinical pathway.
- Solid assessment skills to maintain efficiency in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong patient centered approach with emphasis on providing exemplary and world-class customer service
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated and proactive; a team player who knows how to think critically in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Active participant in seeking solutions to problems
Hospital for Special Surgery offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities. HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.