Medical Secretary Requirement:
Hospital for Special Surgery #1 in Orthopedics for the last 8 years is currently looking for an experienced and energetic Full Time Medical Secretary for one of our physician offices. In this role you will provide comprehensive administrative support to an HSS physician practice and contribute to an environment of clinical excellence.
In this role, you will provide support for the operations of the medical office. This includes, but not limited to, answering phones, scheduling patient appointments; obtain authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures, patient check-in/out, including copay collection, scanning documents into the EMR and any additional tasks as assigned.
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to follow through with tasks to completion
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Ability to effectively and accurately follow directions or instructions
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team; offers to help coworkers when needed
- Ability to escalate issues appropriately
- Consistently displays a positive attitude towards one’s work and work environment
- Experience with Epic preferred; strong computer skills required
- Knowledge of healthcare and health insurance, required
- Familiarity with medical terminology and general office protocol required.
- The ability to type 45-60 words per minute and exceptional organizational strengths is required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Answer telephone, route callers, take messages and provide routine information to callers in a professional and efficient manner
- Retrieve messages frequently from voicemail (and EMR system where applicable) and return messages by the end of business day
- Confirm patient appointments via email and/or telephone
- Schedule patient appointments and other ancillary tests as directed by office manager or physician
- File medical documentation and patient charts where applicable.
- Prepare patient charts in anticipation of office hours where applicable.
- Obtain results/outside notes prior to patients’ appointments and scan/file them accordingly in charts.
- Scan medical records into individual patient accounts within EMR system
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (Associates Degree preferred) and at least two years of related MD office/healthcare experience.