Hospital for Special Surgery seeks a Development Research Associate as part of a comprehensive development operation focused on fundraising from its grateful-patient constituency. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development Research & Special Projects, the Development Research Associate will work closely with Development’s leadership team. The Development Research Associate will be proactive and responsive and provide high-quality research to meet the needs of a fast-paced, campaign-oriented development department to advance the fundraising efforts of the Hospital.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducting detailed research for the Development Department using advanced on-line databases, internet resources, in-house files and data, and other references.
- Maintaining proficiency in the use of proprietary and internal databases and internet resources.
- Analyzing, interpreting and synthesizing biographical and financial information. Managing the appropriate dissemination of research reports, blurbs, profiles, charts.
- Preparing high-quality written reports and presentations of qualified information, including briefings for major gift cultivations and solicitations.
- Working closely with the Development Research Team to quickly qualify grateful patient prospects, helping to prepare the Team for meetings with physicians and prospects and expanding the grateful-patient prospect pipeline.
- Proactively identifying new prospects and qualifying existing prospects on a daily basis in support of the Hospital’s annual and campaign fundraising priorities.
- Helping to maintain research and prospect information within the Development database and electronic files with relevant data, including elements necessary for data modeling.
- Participating in review of news sources.
- Assist in data retrieval, entry, preparation and analysis for research and prospect management programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Applicants must have a minimum of one year experience in prospect/development research, or an equivalent amount of professional experience in an analytical, research or information specialist role, including internships, within an academic, media, nonprofit, library, corporate or consulting setting. Interest in health care is a strong advantage.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Excellent attention to detail and high degree of accuracy. Excellent memory/“visual” memory is valuable in this role.
- Ability to use technology to gather, interpret, organize, and present data. Education and/or experience in statistics an added plus.
- Ability to quickly understand and evaluate wealth indicators for an individual as well as retrieving and analyzing financial data on corporations and foundations.
- Experience preparing clear, concise reports summarizing research for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills, including ability to express all appropriate information clearly and concisely, whether written or verbal required.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, set priorities, meet deadlines required, and manage relationships accordingly.
- Ability to acquire exceptional understanding of HIPAA guidelines and patient and donor privacy regulations in a Hospital development operation
- Experience with web-based research as well as database operations and usage.
- Understanding of basic financial principles; analytical acumen necessary to interpret financial information and manage data.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and in teams within a client/colleague service oriented environment.
- Ability and temperament to handle consistent data entry, duties which are shared department-wide.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information and material in a discretionary manner.
- Organizational skills to multi task and handle several projects simultaneously, and accommodate shifting priorities while still meeting deadlines and budget requirements.
- Technologically savvy: proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, ability to acquire mastery of Raiser’s Edge, the department’s fundraising database.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills; success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization.
- Smart and insightful – mentally tough and resilient.
- Unquestionable personal integrity. Exudes credibility and professionalism. Team player with strong customer service abilities.
- A highly committed individual, with the necessary drive and stamina to respond to the demands of the institution and work collaboratively to achieve results.
- Strong sense of client satisfaction; enjoys interacting with various members of Development to ensure research needs are appropriately identified and addressed
- Strong commitment to the mission, goals and values of the hospital.