The Director of Stewardship and Development Communications will direct the stewardship and communications efforts for the Development Department, creating processes and providing tools and materials that enable relationship management and fundraising success. S/he will have responsibility for the design and implementation of HSS’s strategic development communications including developing institutional advancement cases for support, messaging, and promotion. S/he will work collaboratively in this effort with the HSS Marketing and Communications/ Brand Management team. S/he will continue to build philanthropic identity and affinity, and further align resources and strategy. This includes promoting efficient use and linking of communication resources and creating cross-marketing activities to promote philanthropic support. S/he will lead the department wide stewardship strategy including donor recognition and reporting, working collaboratively with leadership and fundraisers.
The Director of Stewardship and Development Communications will be a key resource to the Development Department. S/he must have a sincere interest and appreciation for HSS’s mission. S/he will be an innovative, focused, problem solver and proven development communications leader, bringing a collaborative, proactive approach to comprehensive communications strategies and activities. S/he will also possess the talent and interpersonal skills to effectively engage internal and external members of the diverse HSS community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the creation and production of all department-wide donor communications, including campaign materials, proposals, solicitation and acknowledgement letters, and mass communications, including e-communications.
- Develop a comprehensive stewardship program for principal/major gift donors as well as broad donor audiences including annual fund and planned giving donors. Work collaboratively with fundraising, special events, and advancement services partners
- Create customized stewardship plans and reports for major donors as well as standardized reports and stewardship tools that can be utilized for other donors.
- Manage donor recognition including naming criteria, donor signage, donor listings and other donor recognition tools.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the quality of donor interactions, including all potential touchpoints. Create and implement a system to track, manage, and report key milestones and other metrics.
- Provide supervision and guidance to Senior Development Writer, Development Writer, and Development Associate/Graphic Designer.
- Manage workflow and communications team priorities and closely coordinate all work product with HSS Marketing and Communications/ Brand Management, ensuring alignment of messages and imagery with accepted HSS brand guidelines.
- Champion donor-centered communications and stewardship best practices. Share expertise and strengths with colleagues.
- Enhance current and/or develop new tools as needed to support annual and strategic fundraising initiatives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or related experience is required.
- 6-8 Years of experience in development communications and stewardship, with at least three years of supervisory experience.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Proven ability to successfully provide strategic direction, leadership, and management of development communication initiatives for a multi-unit-based fundraising team.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, design, write, and produce collateral materials supporting a major and principal gifts fundraising team.
- Affirming management and team-oriented skills to thrive in a collaborative organization, while maintaining best practices, establishment and achievement of clear goals, and shared accountability.
- Excellent communication (speaking, writing, presentation, and active listening) skills and an ability to effectively communicate at all levels within an institution, as well as external constituencies.
- Well organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Able to meet deadlines and on-demand requests for written materials. Flexible and resourceful.
- Goal-oriented and thrives on getting results by completing assignments on time and at the highest standards.
- Technologically savvy. Proficient in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), with the ability to learn additional software and Raiser’s Edge, the database used for the Hospital’s fundraising.
- Diplomatic and discreet. Can handle highly sensitive and/or confidential information appropriately.