Hospital for Special Surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care & Pain Management
Job Description - LPN/Administrative Assistant for Dr Waldman, Pain Management
This is a unique role in which the LPN will work primarily in an administrative capacity (approximately 80 percent admin and 20 percent clinical).
Responsibilities – Administrative:
- Acts as a representative of, and provides administrative office assistance to Dr Waldman under the supervision of his Office Manager.
- Performs general administrative office duties, including the following: schedules patient appointments, pre-certifies patients, secures insurance authorizations, and orders tests as directed by physician; coordinates and arranges physician’s clinical calendar and patient flow; takes the initiative to remedy periods of over and under booking; answers phones, triages calls, provides information to internal & external callers; sets up meetings; schedules patient procedures with HSS booking office.
- Other related duties & projects as designated by MD, Office Manager and/or Assistant Director, Complex Pain.
Responsibilities - Clinical:
- Administers nursing care under direction and supervision of M.D. Participates in the implementation and evaluation of patient care. Ensures the health, comfort and safety of patients. Provides appropriate care for the patient according to established standards and individual patient needs.
- Reviews and implements all physician orders in a timely manner, including validating medication orders. Collaborates with the physician when clarification is needed of the orders.
- Demonstrates adherence to all pain standards with keen sensitivity to and proactive management of the patient's pain. Reports to physician all available data, including the use of the pain scale for assistance with adjusting the plan of care.
- Communicates with patients in appropriate manner and assists them in all aspects of interactions with the hospital and physician offices. Responds to customer concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding. Observes the privacy and confidentiality of information in accordance with HIPAA policies and procedures. Recognizes pain relief as an essential patient right.
- Adheres to all practice standards outlined by Hospital Administration and governing regulatory bodies.
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) certification
- Prior hospital or healthcare office experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Outlook, Excel)
- College degree and working knowledge of Epic EMR preferred